Author Topic: Pls help , how much to cut bow shorter to increase weight, crazy gauva  (Read 1585 times)

Paka

Hi All ,
   Its about 1:00 am here and am about to crash . But just finished tillering another stave of gauva and its at 40 pounds at 26 inches. How can I get it to be around 47 pounds ?? how much should I bring the knocks down?  This is a tricky piece of wood cause the top limb naturally hangs low about 2 inches.  Its 66 ntn right now . Any input would be great or links. Thanks all , will catch you all in the morning and happy carving.
                                                                                                               Mahalo ,
                                                                                                                      Paka

Offline n2everythg

It is hard to say exactly. each piece of wood is different.
I havnt remember the exact formula and am not awake yet. but I would try to just cut it down a little at a time.
start out with 1-2 inches off each end and reknock and recheck tiller.

in general I think one inch off each end will = 5-10 lbs prob.
luk
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Paka

thanks Wade , will get to it ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Have you tempered the belly?  With 2" or 3" of reflex induced as you temper the belly you may come up to your goal.  If not, cut new nock grooves an inch below the ones already there. Shorten your string and check the weight. If not enough, cut two more below those and check.
  If poorly tillered to begin with, you might better start another and don't do what caused this one to come up short!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Paka

Thanks Pat ,
    I took the knocks down an inch and picked up 4 pounds. But to be honest with you guys the limb that was naturally hanging low I took to much wood off in the beginning  , so it was destinned to be a light weight bow or really pushing this bow to the limits by cutting the limbs even shorter . May give it to my wife and start another ;)
   I need to learn more about tempering I'll do some searches unless someone wants to let me in on what it is ;D
  Two things I learned in the last week. The trick about using a 4" piece of wood to help find flat spots and hinges worked great. The second , a hitch knot , so much better than tying knots in the string ;D
  Anyways , , now my son has a bow , my 2 girls and now my wife all have guava bows , one more to go ;)