Author Topic: Ocean Spray for shafts?????  (Read 2320 times)

Offline snag

Ocean Spray for shafts?????
« on: July 10, 2010, 02:35:08 pm »
Curious if anyone has tried using ocean spray for shaft material. I understand that the American Indians in Oregon used it.  Most of what I have seen is not very straight. I wonder if by making a form with 2X4's you could season them to be straight?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ocean Spray for shafts?????
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 04:04:12 pm »
I have used ocean spray for shafts with good results. It seems a bit light but made good arrows. First off find the straightest shoots you can find and use heat(once it is cured) to straighten it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:51:37 pm »
Another thing is treat it like Bamboo. Its a tough wood! Its very light so make sure you use a heavy point or dense wood foreshafts.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline snag

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 06:18:52 pm »
Do you strip the bark off right away and let it dry or do you let it dry with bark on or do you even bother taking the bark off?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 06:45:26 pm »
living in the NW it is by far my favorite shaft material, I swear you could shoot it at a brick wallall day with no ill effects,

I cut it long,  leave the bark on and let it dry wrapped in bundles,  then strip the bark and heat straighten
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:59:13 pm »
Yep! Do what Ravenbeak said. Also, think about knock inserts or reinforcing the shaft with wraps of sinew or string in glue. Keepse it from splitting.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:12:43 am »
Ocean spray is very good material. Keep looking around for straight.I found some up on Couer D' Alene lake that was as straight as any raw shaft and it made very nice shafts.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington