Author Topic: St. Vincent Island  (Read 4954 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
St. Vincent Island
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:58:51 pm »
 I very seldom put in for Draw Hunts but I did last month. I was just Web surfing in the office waiting for an important email when I saw it was the last day to put in for the Primitive Sitka deer hunt on St Vincent Island off the coast of Appalachicola and Panama City. So I did, and took the application to the tax office with $5. I've wanted to do this hunt for over 25 years and never could get hunt buddies together. So I said screw it, I'll go by myself and if picked  make the best of it.

I told my wife it will be my luck that I will get drawn and with the oil spill they will probally shut down the whole bay. The oil is already lapping at Panama City Beach. The hunt is for 3 days in December for 200 hunters, muzzleloading or archery. Sitka Bulls have weighed in at over 700 pounds, that's as big as an Elk. Also, I've been doing some research on this place and it's really unique when it comes to wildlife. There are over 30 different native species of snakes in Florida and this Isaland has over 50 different species. Well, I have my fingers crossed the stars and ocean currents will line up. I find out in July if I got picked.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: St. Vincent Island
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:02:39 pm »
Good luck! That would be a blast!  I've never been to St. Vinvent, but that area is beautiful.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:59:08 pm »
Sounds like a great adventure. December along the Gulf should be pretty nice weather too. How big is St Vincent Island and what is the terrain and vegetation?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodstick

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:10:39 am »
you can do it, keep the faith. then show us pics. good luck
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 06:21:29 am »
Good luck Eddie,hope you get drawn.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 07:55:44 am »
Good luck Eddie I hope it works out for you. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:14:15 am »
 Pat, it's 18 square miles of sand dunes covered in Live Oak hammocks and cabbage palms. Also Slash pines and freshwater lakes and streams. Typical Florida habitat.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:27:27 am »
Similar to Blackbeard Is, GA and I guess most barrier islands. Cool habitats.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 12:14:35 pm »
 Yea. I'm going to put in for the Blackbeard Island hunt, too.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Diligence

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 11:22:02 pm »
Seems like a lot of hunters for a such a small area, but it sure looks like a neat place!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=st+vincent+island+florida&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=St+Vincent+Island,+United+States&gl=ca&ei=t_IrTKSUOsmhnQfCqP3ICQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q8gEwAA

or for google earth users....

Latitude  29°38'28.98"N
Longitude  85° 7'0.53"W

Jaye
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 11:33:01 pm »
 Jaye,
   Not everybody shows up. And you have to come on the island on the west end where the pier is and either walk or mountain bike to where you are going. From what I'm told the only sand packed hard enough to ride a bike is along the beach and hunting is over by 3PM.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 12:25:33 am »
I hunted Blackbeard twice. Very cool(read hot and humid) place to hunt. In those days there were no hogs on Blackbeard. Heck they didn't have or want squirrels because of the limited food sources. Now there are hogs on all the GA barrier islands. I saw the biggest water moccasin there too. We were trailing a deer I had shot and came out of the woods onto a savanna. As we trailed I looked up and under a myrtle bush there was this snake and it looked like a truck tire.  :o Can't kill them there either. Only deer and hogs.
  Hunting Sitkas will be cool too.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 02:12:21 am »
Cool, best of luck Eddie with the draw. I am hoping for you to get it.
Thanks for your time
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 03:06:25 pm »
 Thanks Steve. Pat, some buddies of mine hunted Blackbeard about 5 years ago. My one friend passed on 3 different deer the first day at less than 15 yards. He was waiting for a big one. He didn't know that most of them are like Key Deer, real stunted.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 04:57:59 pm »
I just looked at it on google maps.
 There is a small ridge that runs betwen two ponds by oyster pond. looks like a good funnel if you can get to it.
Mililani Hawaii