Author Topic: tite bond and snake skin  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Blacktail

tite bond and snake skin
« on: June 29, 2010, 07:34:18 pm »
has any one used tite bond HIDE glue and snake skin...trying to find some thing new for snake skin..thanks john

Offline Brock

Re: tite bond and snake skin
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:28:25 pm »
I have used Elmers Wood Glue and Tite Bond regular wood glue...but never hide glue.  You could use it but it is not water resistant so will need to seal the bow with a good finish if in humidity or out in rain.  If keeping it all natural is main priority you would be okay as snakeskins are somewhat water proof except at edges where they may try to lift due to moisture.

Should work fine though...

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:27:53 pm »
thanks for the info...Scott,i am glad you replyed...i was wondering how long it would take..now i know..i normally use Knox and it drys over night...and thanks for the heads up on the expiration date..john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 11:43:15 pm »
 John, If it is past shelf life it doesn't go bad. Just add about a teaspoon of vinegar and shake and it will be as good as new. JMO, TB3 works a whole lot better.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 06:12:53 am »
Never used it,I always use TB3. I have heard some pretty good things about it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:10:15 pm »
My only complaint with TB3 is it sets up fast when backing rawhide with snakeskin.  Someone suggested TB2 would be a little slower.  Guess the rawhide suck it the moisture.  On a plain back it seems to work great for me.
Westminster, MD

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 11:00:28 pm »
I've used TB hideglue for SSs, but never again. TB3 is so much better and easier, and dries 100X faster.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:14:27 am »
Hey Big, I size the rawhide(and bow before rawhiding) with TBIII and let it cure. This seals it so it doesn't soak up the moisture. You can add a bit of water to thin the glue and it will extend the open time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 09:51:33 am »
TB hide glue works fine with good drying times, use it when I don't have time to heat up the real deal. TB3 works great on about everything

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 08:09:49 pm »
I've used tb11 and knox gelatin, liked the knox better, really sucked the skin down to the bow, gave time to smooth it out and didn't have to wrap it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 08:57:27 pm »
I've used the titebond hide glue on skins.Just don't get in any hurry though.Mine seemed like it takes over a week to cure.I've also tried titebond 3,and albeit,you don't have much time to fool with it,but it sure dries fast. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:16:20 pm »
I have used both TB2 and TB hide glue, both work with good results. I sized the back like Pat said on both products. Then a second layer on the bow and a layer on the snakeskin. It sticks almost instantly on both.  When my son Cody did his first bow he used TB2 and it worked out great. Plenty of open time for a 11 year old to work the skins so I don't think that is a concern.

I think you would be crazy to seal anything within several days of gluing the skins on so dry time isn't a concern. I also like to seal the skins good to help hold the scales down so I don't care about waterproof.  :o
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 02:28:13 am »
I use TB hide glue for all my skins. I'm not sure why others have a problem with drying, I leave it overnight and it is dry in the morning. I like hide glue because because I have more working time and it is easier to remove bubbles after the glue cures - a warm iron and sharp needle is all it takes.
Gordon

Offline Brock

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 12:09:21 am »
I think you would be crazy to seal anything within several days of gluing the skins on so dry time isn't a concern. I also like to seal the skins good to help hold the scales down so I don't care about waterproof.  :o

maybe leaving the scales on is why yours take days to dry....I always remove all the scales I can and 24 hours is usually more than enough using elmers wood glue or titebond...  My current skin has been on bow for 10 years.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 06:52:50 am »
I've used both TB 3 and the Titebond liquid hide glue.  I prefer the liquid hide glue hands down.  I like it better because of the much longer working time you have when using it.   Also if you get a bubble after drying it is real easy to repair with by making a small hole with a pin an heating it with a iron.   It does take a pretty long time to dry but I'm usually not in a hurry, especially at the finishing stage.
Traverse City, MI