Author Topic: Made a mistake and broke a string  (Read 5350 times)

Offline Diligence

Made a mistake and broke a string
« on: June 26, 2010, 11:42:00 pm »
....so, I was in a rush to drive 30 minutes to a different club so that I could shoot in the Friday night longbow group.  Left my spare string at home.  While on the way there, I realized that my serving was in pretty bad shape.  So I strung the bow at a red light, and rolled some crazy glue through the spot that was falling apart.

Got the range and shot 3 arrows.  Noted that the nocking point was a bit thick and hard because of the glue, so I just reached over to my leatherman and used the pliers to squeeze the serving with the glue on it.  My idea was to soften it up a bit.....well - don't ever to that.

I must have twisted the pliers a bit and suddenly the string exploded - thank heaven my bow seems okay.  Oh well, I got to drive across the city for an hour, just so I could make my wife unhappy (she wanted me to hang around, but I needed to get out) and all I got for my efforts was 3 arrows shot and a busted string.....so I stopped at Dairy Queen for some ice cream.

Anyway, moral of the story appears to be - don't put super glue on your serving and then try to soften it up with pliers, while the bow is strung.

Later,
D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Made a mistake and broke a string
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:16:32 am »
Are you sure the moral isn't "No matter what, stop at DQ"?

;D
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Diligence

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:26:02 am »
LOL - I think the moral is that when wife says, "are you sure you want to go shoot tonight" - she really means, "may the curses of a thousand mummies infect your bow string!"

I told her the story and asked her why she was upset, her answer, "I wasn't upset"......which really means, "if you have to ask, then you will never understand".... :D ;D

In all seriousness, my wife is the most understanding woman I know.  She lets me pick up parts of road-kill....and even acts as a spotter for it from time to time.  ;D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 11:53:01 am »
Jaye, Like texting while driving it ought to be against the law to string a bow while driving!  ;D   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 01:18:35 pm »
....so, I was in a rush to drive 30 minutes to a different club so that I could shoot in the Friday night longbow group.  Left my spare string at home.  While on the way there, I realized that my serving was in pretty bad shape.  So I strung the bow at a red light, and rolled some crazy glue through the spot that was falling apart.

Got the range and shot 3 arrows.  Noted that the nocking point was a bit thick and hard because of the glue, so I just reached over to my leatherman and used the pliers to squeeze the serving with the glue on it.  My idea was to soften it up a bit.....well - don't ever to that.

I must have twisted the pliers a bit and suddenly the string exploded - thank heaven my bow seems okay.  Oh well, I got to drive across the city for an hour, just so I could make my wife unhappy (she wanted me to hang around, but I needed to get out) and all I got for my efforts was 3 arrows shot and a busted string.....so I stopped at Dairy Queen for some ice cream.

Anyway, moral of the story appears to be - don't put super glue on your serving and then try to soften it up with pliers, while the bow is strung.

Later,
D
No no the moral is always carry spare ice cream! :P
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 03:56:02 pm »
I'm trying to visualize someone stringing a bow inside a vehicle :o
Ya'll probaly a look or 2  ;)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Diligence

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 04:44:05 pm »
I actually jumped out of the jeep at a red light and quickly strung it.....I'm sure I got a few looks! lol....never really thought about that until just now.... >:D

Offline Barrage

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 07:55:09 pm »
lol :) ;D

That would definitely make me laugh if I saw someone get out of their car, wrestle a stick, and hop back in at a red light.  I can only imagine the what the people who had no clue what that stick was were thinking... lol ;D
Travis

Offline Diligence

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 10:13:43 am »
HAHA travis.

They probably thought I was a witch or a shaman or something with the beaver balls and deer antler tips dangling off of it.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 01:39:33 am »
lol. seen some goofy stuff but hoppin out and stringin a bow is pretty high on the list.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 02:04:51 pm »
ya that would be a sight wouldnt it  ;D

ive gotten good at stringen a bow from a sitting position.
but aint never tried it in my car yet
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 03:49:40 pm »
It's hard to do a drive by with a bow!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Diligence

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 12:52:23 am »
sure is Pat...and you have obviously seen me shoot.  Now if I can only figure out how to shoot bucks-shot arrows, or #4 shot arrows, I might have a chance....lol

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 01:56:03 am »
It's hard to do a drive by with a bow!  ;D
That is what I thought. I wonder if the guy who cut you off thought he was going to get shot.  :o
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 02:53:16 am »

Hey, pat, what goes clip,  clop,  clip,  clop,  clip,  clop, Bang! bang! clipclop, clipclop, clipclop.......?   An Amish drive by shooting......  ::) ;D ;D
Diligence, while spotting road kill, she is probably looking for body dumping spots...... :o ;D  I assume you got .......Chocolate Ice Cream......?  Chocolate is always good, even when they are mad they will eat it, and chocolate is a natural relaxer, and calming agent.  ;)
                                                                                     Wayne