Author Topic: Last piece of dry wood in the pile(Death Of)  (Read 5172 times)

Lombard

Last piece of dry wood in the pile(Death Of)
« on: June 21, 2010, 08:44:04 pm »
Got all kinds of it in the drying rack though. Made something out of this Maple a friend had given me awhile back. Sixty eight inches, 40 pounds at twenty eight, bottom limb is one and three quarter inches shorter than the top limb. Still have some finishing to do. Haven't heat treated Maple before. Gonna give it a try though, and see how much mass can be shed. It shouldn't bother his injured shoulder to much, at that weight.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:13:37 pm by Lombard »

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
Re: Last piece of dry wood in the pile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:24:14 pm »
Howdy Lombard,

At a glance, it looked as though it's bending a lot near the handle and is too stiff beyond.  (Rookies do this.)

I did the fancy ellipse to show.

All the best,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 09:28:10 pm »
Lombard,

I hope that is helpful.

The limbs sould be shaped more like the ellipse. 

All the Best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:54:18 pm »
Canoe, you would be right if I was going for an elliptical tiller. What I have there is more in line with a true arc of the circle tiller. Not bad for a rookie huh?

Lombard

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 10:01:17 pm »
Slightly stiff tips, and after one hundred arrows it has taken an inch and a half of set.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 10:16:45 pm »
  Nice looking Dave. Looks like it will turn out like all your other rookie bows ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline bambule

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:41:20 am »
Tiller looks great - with this arc and the stiff tips it looks like a fast bow.

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 08:15:17 am »
Looking good to me.Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TBod

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 09:07:33 am »
How about a front pic of it?

Like the tiller a lot, especially that it starts bending right out the fades. That's difficult to get right IMO

Lombard

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 10:52:48 am »
Thanks guys. T bod, at this time I do not have a front picture. When I finish it up, I'll get one posted for you. The bow has a pyramid profile, and is my first attempt at a hybrid, as per Mr. Torges; the bow has very slight movement through the handle, and it is smooth to draw, and quick to return. Those tips will be losing a good bit of mass, just as soon as I heat treat the belly. The man I'm building it for has a genetic anomaly, in that he has a natural thirty two inch draw.  So I really made an effort to get all the limb working, that I could. 

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:58:44 am »
Looks great!  Tiller looks perfect!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

DCM4

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 10:59:02 am »
The width profile and the location of the set guide my hand on the tiller shape, and to some extent the initial design plan.  I'd be curious to see the rested, unbraced profile, and the width profile.  Lots of inner bend preserves string angle, good for a shorter bow, lots of outer bend usually more efficient (for lighter arrows) frequently more appropriate for a longer bow.  But it depends, a pronounced pyramid or homle obviously wants to work the wide wood.

Nice bow.

Lombard

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 12:30:28 pm »
Okay, I got down to the store for some batteries, and got the other photos taken.

Offline gmc

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 11:15:24 pm »
Only thing that could be worse than "last piece of dry wood in the pile" is "no pile at all". That's probally about the best darn rookie bow that I've ever seen.  ;)
Central Kentucky

Lombard

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 11:29:00 pm »
Minor set back this afternoon. Take notice of the photo of the bow on the mantle, with the string looping down. Well that string was something new, and our Lab puppy took notice. I see her stand up and swipe at the sting with her paw, but it was already over. Nothing I could do but say, oh sugar! The bow flipped down, and the tip on the top limb made a sickening crack, as it struck the brick shelf at the bottom. It split following the lateral grain, for three and a half inches.

However, all was not lost. Instead of sixty eight inches, it is now sixty inches. With the length it had, I was feeling good about it holding up at that width, to my friends thirty two inch draw. At sixty inches, I don't believe it holds that possibility, as it is after all, Maple.

So it is cut down, and I started to tiller it to the shorter length. Will be trying for forty at twenty eight now. Make somebody a bow anyway.

I love my lab, I love my lab, I love my lab... >:D