Author Topic: need some pointers on a board bow  (Read 6522 times)

Offline jp gray

need some pointers on a board bow
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:13:04 am »
i took the plunge to shoot a selfbow and cane arrows with stone points,i have a osage self bow being made but i also want to learn how to make one,going to a lumber store in the am and pick out a good  red oak board,questions ,

1) do i draw the bow out on the board and then cut it out and start takeing wood off?
any help would be much appreciated.
john paul gray

bowkee

Re: need some pointers on a board bow
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 04:06:11 am »
I'm not a moderator but, I start with  making sure the growth rings on the end of the Board are the way they should be and then make sure the Grain on the sides of the board are straight throughout the length. I start the Handle measurement then measure the fades from the handle marking as ya go. Marking the measurement for for the start of taper to the tips would be my next step.
Next I cut the rough of the Bow out then start measuring and marking thickness from the handle fade to the Tips.
depending on the type of Bow you are making makes a big difference on measurments. 8)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 07:23:01 am »
Not a board bow guy but a lot here are,and good at it.Check out Jawges site,lot of good info for someone starting out.I am sure he and others will check in to help.Welcome and enjoy the ride. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 10:14:31 am »
YUP, the rings and run-of-grain are deadly important.  Some sort of backing will help to stabilize some of the runout problems.  I do lots of layout with a kite string as it gives me a really straight line to start with.  I find the middle of the length, and the middle of both ends, and wiggle the string around till it lays about in the middle of the handle.  Then, i measure out from that middle/middle mark for 1/2 the handle, and the max width at that point , and the width at the nocks, PLUS SOME FUDGE FACTOR.....draw the widths i want, using a pencil compass, connect everything and walk to the bandsaw. 

Remember that WIDTH is stability, and THICKNESS is power.  BALANCE is everything. 

piper

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:44:42 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 12:22:38 pm »
I knew you would be around. ;) :) Now go get um JP. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

paganwannbe

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 05:59:41 pm »
I was told by KenH that this is a good site this is what I'm using for my red oak board bow http://poorfolkbows.com hope it helps.
No offense meant to George Tsoukalas/Jawges

half eye

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 06:30:57 pm »
Hey JP,
      I build board bows and I believe this might help get ya off on the right foot.
1. try to get the wood with grain straight down all four sides (or as close as you can)
2. Check the board to see if there is any natural reflex (on the broad side of the board) and mark that for the bow's back
3. If the board is wider than you need mark a centerline down the back or belly that follows the grain as much as possible
    (even if it's crooked to the boards edges)
4. Layout the plan view of the bow, measurements only from the centerline. (how it looks straight on)
5. Cut, carve, or whatever the shape out
6. If the bow has a rigid handle put the board on it's edge and layout the profile view and cut away the waste from that
    (be really carefull around the limbs, taking off too much or a "mistake" and you'll have a nice kids bow)
7. The rest of it is scraping, tillering etc and of course the finish work. If you have been using a saw to this point .....ptu it away cause all the rest is rasps, files and scrapers.
rich

Offline jp gray

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 07:17:05 pm »
alright got the board its 1x2x6 red oak ,grain looks great ,got the tools .4n1 rasp,surform rasp,now the fun begins.
john paul gray

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 08:16:49 pm »
UhOhhhh
Another addict

RON
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 08:31:59 pm »
on you're next one, and their will be another, go to a hardwood store and find a good piece of hickory, it's tough enough that even if ya make a small misstake you will probably still end up with a shooter.
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

bowkee

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 03:18:04 pm »
Take yer time Tillering :)

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 05:49:54 pm »
Another board bow builder here, JP.  Half Eye is the Yoda of board bows; follow his wisdom and your rewards will be great ;)
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Diligence

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 10:46:26 am »
JP - I'll just add that when, not if, but when you get the urge to "just pull it to full draw one time" before you are done tillering - I have this careful advice.  Stop, put the bow down, take your hammer off the work bench, lay your thumb on the vice, and give your thumb a good whack! - now, when the cuss words explode out of your mouth, remember to feel better, because at least the bow didn't blow up on you, or take too much set....... :D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 11:12:52 am »
JMO for your first board bow don't do a glued on handle. Bend in the handle bows are easier on the psyche. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!