Author Topic: Purpleheart Self Bow...Finally!  (Read 11092 times)

Offline Almostpighunter

Purpleheart Self Bow...Finally!
« on: June 17, 2010, 01:29:27 am »
This journey started last November from a long board of purpleheart that yielded 5 potential self bows. All of the first 3 broke after I had all them at a desirable draw weight (in this case I was shooting for anywhere between 45-55lbs ) at a draw length of 28". When it comes to self bows, especially ones that I am not keeping for myself, I like to make sure the bow can be drawn at least 2" above the goal draw length. I know this isn't the "proper" way to make a bow, but I have always put safety first. My mentality is if it doesn't break at 30" draw, then it (most likely) won't break at 28". Anyhow, the tease of the purpleheart was its ability to hold together at 28" but pretty much failed after about 5-10 draws to 30".

I was making the bows per TBB 1 which recommends that a self flatbow of purpleheart at 65" should have a width of 1 5/8" for a draw weight of 50lbs. Unfortunately for me this formula didn't seem to be working so in a fit of "brilliance" (actually ignorance combined with intense frustration and desperation as father's day approached) I decided to take a shot at the fourth bow widening it to 2" and combining certain aspects of the Modoc Indian style in the fades between the handle and the tips. I am no engineer, so why it worked is beyond me, but the result was this weird "hybrid" that looks like an American Flatbow and a Modoc Indian bow had a baby.

The bow is 65" (63" ntn), pulls 53# @ 28" (can be drawn to 31" but I stopped doing that after I gave it 100 pulls) and has diamondback rattlesnake skin on the back for natural camo in case I can ever get my father (gift to him for father's day) to come hunting with me.

What happened to the 5th bow you ask? It is currently rough cut and floor tillered in 100% Modoc Indian style. Someday I'll pick it back up when I feel like experimenting again. For now, I am going to give my hands a break and enjoy the moment.

Hope you all enjoy too.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Almostpighunter

Re: Purpleheart Self Bow...Finally!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:30:21 am »
Side view and full draw

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:12:00 am »
I have submitted the adoption papers. By the time you read this you will be my son. I look forward to hunting with the new bow..  ;D
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 03:14:07 am »
All kidding asside, I marvel at your persistence and admire your tenacity. That is one fine bow. Good on you for hanging in there until you made one work the way you wanted it to.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 04:10:25 am »
  Thats a great tiller on that style of bow, should perform very well if it didn't break down too much on those long draws. Have you inspected the belly for small chrysals, sometmes purple heart will chrysal. Great looking bow.  ( any chance you know the physical weight of the bow?) I figured it based on 31" draw and 63# and come up with around 27 oz for that style.   Steve
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:17:37 am by Badger »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 04:28:14 am »
Nice work and bravo for your patience. How much overdraw is a tricky question... I think 1" has got to be a minimum even on a highly stressed bow (my last broke on the 1" overdraw but it was experimental). I think 2" on top of 28 isn't too wild, especially when you allow for bracing height variation and overlength arrows. (I generally make mine long enough to allow for one head snapping off and being replaced, but I know some guys who shoot full length shafts ??? )
Presumably on a shorter drawing bow one would allow less, say a 24" draw maybe go 1.5" over.
Dunno if there's a magic rule of thumb or what the other guys do. (Pull till it snaps and then come down half an inch  ::) ?)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:46:26 am »
Nice looking bow,well done. He should like that.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 09:31:02 am »
Very nice. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:39:14 am »
cool bow! man I love it when people break from the norm and make self bows out of woods that everyone says fail in tension.  Still gonna ash-back the one I am working on though...  :)    Tiller looks good and the skins look awesome against that purpleheart man!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 11:17:48 am »
Very nice!  It's reassuring to see that bow turn out so well.  I've got a purpleheart board I've been staring at for about a year now.  Maybe I'll try a similar design with it.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 04:23:49 pm »
Nice job on that bow,and way to stick with it.That bow ought to help make you a" bona fide", pighunter ,instead of an "almost". ;) God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 12:42:24 am »
@Badger: The bow weighs in at 22.1 oz as is (which means with the accessory leather grip, snake skins and glue).

As far as the chrysals are concerned, I am happy to say that this bow happens to be chrysal free. I have actually made several bows from purpleheart all of which up to now having a backing of either bamboo or  fiberglass ( I haven't posted any of those bows due to the presence of the fiberglass not being primitive material) and I have to say that not only is it uniquely attractive, but it also is wonderful bow wood that performs well and resists set/follow. So far I have been very lucky and haven't yet had a problem with chrysaling on any of those bows; however, it could be the reason for the failure on the previous self bows.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 04:12:19 am »
  I really like the tiller on that bow, test book example of matching the front view of a bow to the tiller shape. If I figure your bow at 53#@28" it comes out to 22.35 oz. I figured it at 31" and 63# the first time.

Offline gothmog

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 01:02:49 pm »
nice looking and good tiller