Author Topic: Any Mechanics want to lend a hand?  (Read 17555 times)

Offline NTD

Re: Any Mechanics want to lend a hand?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2010, 10:57:46 pm »
Alrighty This is SO MUCH FUN ;D ::)  I have fuel and spark.....
Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2010, 11:35:12 pm »
have you checked the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gage?
just cause some comes out when you push the shrader vavle doenst mean its the right pressure
next check for "pip" at the injectors
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline NTD

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2010, 11:36:01 pm »
Going to rent a fuel pump pressure gauge tomorrow and see if I have enough fuel pressure.  It is spraying out of the valve on the fuel rail but I suppose it may not be enough for the injectors. 
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2010, 11:36:34 pm »
Thanks Tim, posted at the same time you asked that ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2010, 11:12:34 am »
you should have 30-35 psi at the fuel rail(minimum)
if this is good
then get a "noid light",this is a little light that plugs into one (any one of) of the injector connectors
once you have this plugged into an injector connector have some one crank the engine while you watch the light
it should be a flashing rapidly as the engine cranks and should be bright
if i remember right on this engine,like most engines,the crank sensor sends the "pip" signal to the injectors
if you have no "pip" at the injector then definatly chase the crank sensor

note:a test light can be used instead of a "noid" light,just dont force any thing to large into the connector pins,as this will cause them to spread and that could/can cause a poor connection and a misfire ;)

its to bad you dont live closer.i hate hearing people need to "rent" such things like pressrue gages etc.if you were close i would borrow you mine,hell i probably would just come over and lend a hand too :)

Offline NTD

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2010, 05:02:56 pm »
Tim,

I got a pressure test gauge.  It is reading 42 PSI at the Schrader valve.  I also got a noid light test kit while at autozone and I checked that.  All injectors are blinking when I turn over the engine.  So I'm guessing it's not fuel delivery related.  Any more ideas?

Oh and don't worry about the renting, it's actually a loaner program.  I give them a deposit and they give me all of it back when I return the tools.  Not a bad deal.  Just a lot of money out of pocket up front, since I don't use plastic money.
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2010, 06:22:15 pm »
Started before that.  The Harmonic Balancer was a repair in an attempt to fix the stalling.  It was also rattling itself and needed to be replaced based on that but yes the problems started before the replacement.  When I returned the test kits I picked up a crank sensor.  I will be putting that in this afternoon.  I'll let you all know how it goes
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2010, 07:26:38 pm »
Yeah that's what I thought too Scott.  But sensor was cheap enough that I'm willing to throw a hail mary and toss a new one in and see what happens.
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

AAAAAAAHHHHHH
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2010, 08:33:30 pm »
So I was getting ready to reef on the harmonic balancer Bolt to remove it and I just about fell over.  I was actually able to finger loosen the darn bolt.  When I pulled it off this is what I found.

Now I'm not sure what would cause this to happen.  Both Frank and I tightened the hell out of this thing so I don't suspect it being loose was our fault.  So was it a harmonic balancer all along, and the one I replaced it with was bad??? 
Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2010, 11:14:31 pm »
well glad ya found it
i never seen that before,but last week i did have an explorer that snapped the front of the crank shaft off
the puley was laying on top of the steering linkages with the bolt in it ad it was still tight on the end of the crank shaft that was stil in the pulley
as far as torquing the next one,call ashop and find out on he spec,or maybe auto zon can tell ya.
ya might want to check and make sure all the other pullies are turning freely,even the ac compressor pulley and clutch.
and i wouldnt use any thread lock on the bolt for the pulley
also i would us a little silicone sealer on the key way of he pulley to prevent an oil leak

Offline NTD

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2010, 11:29:43 pm »
Well I'm hoping this is actually IT, and not that another problem caused this.  Do you think I should call and ask the company I bought this from if they will warranty it.  I mean I only put this in 2 weeks ago and it has not been driven daily.  Also while I have this off should I go ahead and put the new Crank Sensor in?  Or return it and use the money for a new balancer? ::)
Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2010, 10:23:35 am »
i would call the company that made the balancer and ask about warranty,they may and they may not but it cant hurt.

now if you want my "professional opinion" here it is

to me it looks like it may have been installed improperly.
it doesnt look like the key way was lined up properly
if you look just to the left of the groove(in the photo) for the key way there is an indent that looks just like a key way
it looks like it was (pressed on)in the wrong position.this style of balancer should pretty much slide in place most of the way with little resistance.
if one is to force the pulley on using the retaining bolt and the key way is not ligned up properly then this sort of damage can happen,or worse you could wreck the crank shaft itself,so i would look closely at that before i did anything else at this point.
on the crank shaft there will be a key that sticks up less than a 1/4" high,this key should fit into that groove.

good luck

Offline NTD

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2010, 02:13:17 pm »
Thanks Tim, I can understand that you would think that.  But I did have help when isntalling the balancer and we made very certain that the woodrow key was lined up.  I would think the car wouldn't have run at all if it hadn't been lined up, right?
Nate Danforth

Offline Badger

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2010, 03:07:08 pm »
  NTD, I would say the odds the ballancer was installed wrong are about 102%. LOL. I am a lifelong diesel mechanc so don't say too much on cars. But anyone can make a mistake, find out the correct procedure and follow it to a tee. I bet next time will be a charm for you. Steve

Offline sailordad

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2010, 03:17:58 pm »
steve, your right about anyone being able to make mistakes
i made one two weeks ago that only a real rookie should make
22yrs in shops and i had never made that mistake before,and now take extra steps to make sure it never happens again

only reason i mentioned it being installed wrong is because of the witness marks on the end and inside of the pulley
you can see on the end of the pulley collar where there is an indent the size and shape of the key way
on the inside of the collar(pieces)you can actually see the marks from where the key way had slide around the inside of the pullley
when he mentioned that him and another fellow tightened it as hard as they could made me look real well at the pulley
you know as well as i do that this style should go on pretty easily,i dont believe the toruque on it is much more than maybe 125 lb ft at most(but need a spec book to know for sure)