Author Topic: Rasps  (Read 7311 times)

Offline chuckp

Rasps
« on: June 06, 2010, 05:37:19 pm »
Which is the preferred rasp, the Shinto saw rasp, or the Nicholson #49 for taking down limbs prior to floor tiller?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Rasps
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 05:38:52 pm »
I have a Nicholson 49...and had a Shinto Rasp too...I liked the Shinto...but I liked the Ferriers Rasp better than it...so I sold it on eBay
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:40:28 pm »
I go from course Farriers to smoother Farriers to cabnet scrapper.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:05:50 pm »
Chuckp,  I've got both and wind up using both.  Why limit yourself?   The saw rasp ( in my hands) can be more aggresive in reoving wood, especially for flat surfaces.  The Nielson rasps are 1/2 round, and the round side works well for shaping handles and snaky little areas.       Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 11:30:37 pm »
The #49 cabinet rasp is an amazing tool to use... I wish I had gotten mine sooner.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:54 am »
I have a bunch of rasps, but 99% of the time I use the farrier's rasp for all roughing out and early tillering. You can flip it from the coarse to the fine side, and it's big and flat enough to get a good sweep down the limbs. The #49 is a good rasp, but it's small and has a fine cut- it is much more useful to me for shaping handles, fades, and such than actually working the limbs down. I bought a new farrier's rasp for less than $20 at a tack store several years ago, and it's one of the best bowbuilding investments I've made.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:40:39 am »
Farrier's rasp usually to start and get most of the wood off,then the 49,till time for the scraper. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 12:41:06 pm »
I've never used a shinto but i have always been intrigued by them. I Have UBR10, farriers, and 4-in-hand. i think it's funny that i use the farriers and 4-in-hand a lot more than the expensive (but nice) UBR10.
45# at 27"

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 04:07:31 pm »
A farriers rasp?
Farrier than who?
Whad you call me?
HEHEHE

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 04:14:13 pm »
I had a guy come up to me recently and asked,"What do they call you guys,Farriers?I said,with a staight face, yeah,N i been called way worse than that.He didnt know how to respond to that n just walked away,with a real confused look on his face.LOL

Offline chuckp

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 04:42:15 pm »
Seems like most prefer the farriers rasp.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 06:32:30 pm »
Farriers rasp is awesome, but the different types server different purposes.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 07:08:31 pm »
never used a farrieris rasp or a shinto or a real nicholson #49
im a sure form kinda guy  ;)

once you get the hange of a sure form you can hog off wood real fast o scrape lightly like a scraper would and everything inbetween
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 03:20:05 am »
I love to use the farriors rasp for roughing out a bow.  It has the wood removal speed of a power tool, but with the control of a hand tool.  I use an old no name rasp for finish shaping.  It is flat on one side and round on the other.  The rounded side is great for shaping handles.  Just my 2 cents.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 08:29:23 am »
I posted this in another sub forum, but Grizzly tools has a very nice cabinet makers rasp that's very cheap.  It's made in China, but all the Nicholson 49's and 50's are made in Brazil now.  I have the 12" version, and it can really hog off the wood.  As an added bonus it's only $12 or so.  They also have an 8" version that's on my wish list.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis