Author Topic: D bows & BOM  (Read 25559 times)

Offline Parnell

D bows & BOM
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:05:49 am »
Curious on opinions why D-bows usually aren't contenders for BOM.  I've been seeing more of 'em lately and some darn fine ones at that...

Obviously it's the finish work that gets the most votes, I figure.  Maybe most D bows are made for pure function? 

Anyone got a good example of a D bow that has won?
1’—>1’

Offline Jorad

Re: D bows & BOM
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:17:12 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,10684.0.html

Gordon's hazelnut D-bow, both tiller and finish were superb.
I'm not surprised the finish is what makes a winning bow. The finish is what makes a bow pretty, and we all like pretty bows don't we?

if you want to make a winner, go for an osage recurve and make it the best bow you will ever make. Thats the most common winner in the self bow section.

Jorad

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 11:23:08 am »

Curious on opinions why D-bows usually aren't contenders for BOM.  I've been seeing more of 'em lately and some darn fine ones at that...

Obviously it's the finish work that gets the most votes, I figure.  Maybe most D bows are made for pure function? 

Anyone got a good example of a D bow that has won?

I think that most of the time, people won't put a really nice finish on a dog, so I think great bow and awesome finish work go hand in hand. You can't polish a turd..    :)  I have seen D bows win before.   :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:26:57 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:28:33 am »
There have been many different types of bows win BOM, Hackberry,Yew,Dogwood,hazelwood  just to name a few,and yes sometimes Osage,and sometimes character and sometimes recurve but I have seen no real pattern. :)I  do know one thing there are some mighty fine bows being turned out from this bunch.  :)  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:35:35 am »
I think a lot of it depends on what you think of as an "awesome finish".  If you want to win,  wrap your bow in snake skin or fish skin or frog scrotums!  Frankly I think that that hides the beauty of the wood.  On the other hand, I don't care for deep glossy finishes that look like glass.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:50:41 am »
Ken,
I do not believe that I would vote for a frog scrotum backed bow!!!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 11:59:19 am »
Seems D bows are too simple, not enough steps in the building or finishing process and they need to have tip overlays and laminated risers, look at the bows that have won past bom and view voting results when available, this is what my opinion is based on, buts its just my opinion and you know what they say about that. And staging a photo shoot doesnt hurt either.
O.k. Got my kevlar on , bring on the flack
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 12:10:07 pm »
Wow I'm getting DeJaVu.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:31:54 pm »
No flack here,seems some don't like beauty, or appreciate the time and skill it take to do that kind of work ,but I guess more do than don't,that is why more of them win.  :)There have been some very plan bows win in the past,It usually has  to be out a different kind of wood  that no one has seen much of,or challengeing piece of wood but it happens.  :) jamie has won several with stone tool bows in the past,not lately but that is mainly because he don't post many.   :) Its all good. :) 
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 12:39:37 pm »
Yeah - wasn't trying to start up a big long thread.  Just curious about what people were currently thinking, after seeing some nice, character D bows as of late.  

I wonder how an authentic ALL primitive - stone tool made, natural string, real deal no shortcuts bow would fare...

I've seen a couple in real life, osage and locust Cherokee hunting bows made with stone tools all the way through, diamond nocks and a deer hide string, very thick and I've never seen another like it.  Talk about authentic.

No fancy finish or frills but the work involved, whew!, that'd have to be a contender, right!?
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 12:49:17 pm »
Would be for me,I always conceder the work and skill involved in the bow then throw in the time and skill it took to finish,skins,painted and such. And of course it has to be tillered nice for the wood they are working with.They need to shoot nice but of course there is no way to know that except what they say and I trust most on this site to tell the truth about that. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

half eye

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 01:59:35 pm »
I try to make my bows authentic and primitive. Try to use the same stuff as the old timers.....turns out a good bow for hunting and they are interesting to me as well (so I can get a feel for what some fella might have been after). If ya think that most people dont have the "skill" to spread true-oil, sparvarnish, or some type of urethane, glue on pistol grips, snake skin or some other sort of thing I believe you are mistaken. It's just as hard (if not harder) to make a true self bow....the time it takes to add the bells & whistles dont make a bowyer.

Fact is most ancient bowyers wouldn't look at a stick that you folks call character wood, they'd try to make the best bow they could from the best material they could gather, aint callin names but that is just how it was. Then ya get to how it is.....most of the guys in BOM winners circle are going for the store-bought look, and crow-shinny and man that's OK. All ya got to do is not get wrapped up in the whole BOM deal and make what ya like. I wont enter it because what I make is not what that contest is all about, that's all anybody has to do......just don't enter if them types of bows don't trip your trigger. Different strokes, don't ya know.

I'm with Jeff (n2huntin) go back and look at the archives and vote posts..... I did that all the way back to 2007 (as far back as I could find) and if ya cant see a pattern you must not be looking for one. As for polishin turds....I'll keep killin my food with my genuine unpolished turd and thank ya very much. Course, I'm just an old Michigan redneck.
half-eye
Rich Rousseau

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 02:05:29 pm »
Seems D bows are too simple, not enough steps in the building or finishing process and they need to have tip overlays and laminated risers, look at the bows that have won past bom and view voting results when available, this is what my opinion is based on, buts its just my opinion and you know what they say about that. And staging a photo shoot doesnt hurt either.
O.k. Got my kevlar on , bring on the flack
Jeff

I really don't see anything wrong with "a photo shoot" of your bow.  The bows I make I work hard on.. lots of blood sweat and tears go into this craft (as we all know)  So why not take a bunch of photos of your work to proudly display your hard work and achievement?  I personally take around 30 or 40 pics of each bow I make and narrow it down to around 10 or 11 "best" pics to show when I post.  I wish more people would do the same, whether it is a D bow crafted with all stone tools or a 3 or 4 wood laminated bamboo backed recurve with multi wood tip overlays.  It is hard to see details with low-light camera-phone pics and I think details of your bow help to inspire, help, and give others different ideas to add to their bow making skills.  That's what I love about coming to this site is to see all the pictures people take of their work, it is a great way to get new ideas.  Sorry for the rant,  :)

... and Rich, your bows arent turds they are awesome weapons that defy the laws of physics my friend.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 02:11:25 pm »
Thanks for keeping posts on the "up and up" guys, I wasn't trying to stir the pot...
1’—>1’

Offline John K

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 02:18:23 pm »
Well said half eye, I like to make both  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !