Author Topic: making a red oak bow  (Read 5302 times)

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
Re: making a red oak bow
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 10:25:11 am »
is that form the side or what will be the bottom/top 

As Okiecountryboy suggested, please go here:  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,978.0.html  and use the right words to talk about the bow so that we can understand you.  Bows do not have a bottom or a top.  Spell check helps too.  That's "from" not "form"...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

paganwannbe

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 10:51:53 am »
Sorry sir I do not know as much about describing bow so I was guessing at it. And for the form/from my right hand typed faster then my left sorry and thank you for telling me :-[
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:57:38 am by paganwannbe »

paganwannbe

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 03:48:04 pm »
I have looked at the site and it made me wonder What type of backing would go best with red oak and if I could use artificial sinew as a bow string cause I have 20 yards according to the package. It may not be pure primitive but I can't go hunting till the bow is finished to get real sinew and I think I read somewhere the you could use sinew as a bow string and backing. so I thought it might work but if someone else has tried it and it did not work I would like to save it for the Quiver I want to make.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 05:48:49 pm »
Linen, silk and burlap will work. Art sinew will not. It's nylon and waxed. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

paganwannbe

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 06:13:40 pm »
Oh but I thought that you had to wax bow strings for some reason unknown to me. I could probably find the linen, silk or the burlap at a fabric store right or do I have to go some where else like an arts and crafts store ?

Offline aero86

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 06:22:35 pm »
if you have picked a good board, and leave it the full length, you shouldnt have to back it.  the extra length will give you some fudge room
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

paganwannbe

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 06:37:39 pm »
OK I was thinking cause I'm only 5'9 that I would have to make it a bit shorter for ease of use and after reading about bows blowing up I figured it was better to have it and not need the not have and need it like Mister dragonman said you never know till you try it.

Offline aero86

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 07:38:15 pm »
im only 5 9 too.  ive got 2 6 foot bows.  kinda tough to manage in brush, but just shooting and making your first bow, like i said, the extra length gives you more fudge room.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

paganwannbe

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 07:48:49 pm »
OK oh man I can't Wait to get it going whats bad is I think I want my first bow to break so I can see how it breaks you know learn how it will break cause I can't find any pictures that show the inside of the break and experience is the best way to learn

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 08:52:48 pm »
Silk and linen you can get at a fabric store. You can also go to a second hand store and get silk dresses or ties even. Burlap you can get at a garden store. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

paganwannbe

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 08:58:55 pm »
OK thanks Mister tsoukalaks

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 01:05:07 pm »
"I think I want my first bow to break so I can see how it breaks"

I learned very little, other than how to make shavings, with my first two bows because both of them turned out pretty darn nice!  Of course, I was unter the watchful eye of a serious wood scraping fool.  It was the next 6 that schooled my sorry butt.  Every last failure was graduate level education. 

I think I want your first bow to turn out nicely because you deserve it, then let the next few school your butt!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 01:51:52 pm »
Good cheap bowstrings can be made with #36 Mason's Line, which has a breaking strength in excess of 700 pounds.  Make sure it's #36, not the more common #18 which is thinner and not as strong...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

paganwannbe

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 04:42:59 pm »
Is that when combined in the 7 string method as described by Tim baker in Traditional Bower's Bible V2 or just one piece of thread?
And I think I will look at fabric stores it might be a little odd if a young boy go's and buys a dress cause I'm no Klinger.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:54:30 pm by paganwannbe »