Author Topic: Flemish Twist and Timber Hitch  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Diligence

Flemish Twist and Timber Hitch
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:32:53 am »
For those of you that use bow strings with one single loop and a timber hitch on the other end, how do you make your strings?

1. Do you make the loop following the reverse (flemish) twist method, and then keep on twisting the strands just like you would if you were going to make a corded fishing line (i.e. reverse twist all the way to the end of the cord) and then tying an overhand knot.  Then forming the timber hitch.

OR

2. Do you make the loop following the reverse (flemish) twist method, and then just add wax to the remaining two strand bundles, gentlly twisting the "entire bundle", then tying an overhand knot. Then forming the timber hitch.

The reason I ask is that when I read all the posts on PA for string making, nobody seemed to mention this subtle difference.  So when I was using the recommended strand length (i.e. bow length plus 20") I was continually short with my bow strings....I tried all sorts of different reverse twist tensions and twisting amounts, but I was always short....I was using method #1, just like I was trying to make 50 feet of reverse twist cordage.  Of course, I was inducing much more twist to each strand bundle in the system than was intended by method #2, and that's what caused my problem.

I had a vision about string making this morning on the way to work, and the light bulb came on - and I thought, well, maybe that's my problem.

So, set me straight team - anybody have a preference?

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Re: Flemish Twist and Timber Hitch
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:41:55 am »
I use what you call method 1. However I allow for more length and then trim off what I don't need when it is finished.
I allow for around ten inches on my loop end and maybe fifteen or more on my timber hitch end.
I also don't twist as much as some because it seems to stretch way too much and then I am always re adjusting the timber hitch.
JMO and how I do it but other guys on here have been doing it longer that I have.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 10:52:37 am »
I twist a loop in one end then twist up a little then just twist the part I plan on making the timber hitch out of, maybe the last 8 to 10 inches .if you twist up the whole length it will do a lot of stretching and takes a good while for it to settle in.  :) I would rather but a twisted loop in both end but sometimes I just get lazy and use my tiller string with a timber.  :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 10:57:04 am »
I twist the loop end, make the loop and twist down past the tags. Then I lightly twist the string until nearing the far end then begin tightly twisting the string in the area the knot will be in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Diligence

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:07:02 am »
Pat and Pappy, just to be clear, when you say "twist the last part of the string where the hitch will be", you simply mean a general twist of both bundles of strands, right?  I'm assuming you do not "reverse twist" (i.e. make cordage) out of the last 8-10".

...and then it's just up to the wax to hold it all together.

J
PS...on a side note, I sure do like how bees wax smells!
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:04:08 pm »
Diligence, I do like Pappy and Pat. And yes, that's reverse-twisting the part that will have the timber hitch. The loop splice and timber-hitch area are reverse-twisted, and the center body of the string is just lightly generally twisted.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:06:44 pm »
The last thing I want to do is hijack someones thread, but man, I sure would like to see a simple picture showing what bits get twisted how much and which direction.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN