Author Topic: Hickory backed boo flooring belly???  (Read 14403 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Hickory backed boo flooring belly???
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:44:46 pm »
Can boo flooring be successfully used as the primary belly, or is it delegated as core material only?

What if boo flooring WAS used as belly wood with a lam of something over it to trap it? would that help prevent the set I've heard flooring is notorious for?

I got 4 - 6 ft. planks of the stuff and wondered if I could make a decent bow out of it. if it works, I could make as many as 6-8 bows from it...LOL ::)
I'd be using hickory likely for the backing...I assume about 1/8th inch over 5/8" flooring.

How about a tri-lam with the flooring????

I've searched here, but can't find much info on it. ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory backed boo flooring belly???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 01:16:18 pm »
I've made a few hickory backed boo flooring bows and they turned out nice but a bit light(35#-45#). I've done R/D and straight reflex with this combo.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:20:12 pm »
I don't know that it is notorious for taking set when used as a belly wood.  MAybe someone was just having problems finding the right design?

I had the opposite experience as Pat.  I made a slender pyramid bow (hickory backed flooring, 1.5" tapering to 3/8") and it was bending nicely at 70lb so I quit tillering.  Bad idea, the design was not intended for that weight and one limb blew.  My laziness for not taking it down to my intended weight of 50lb.  It was shaping up to be a very nice bow too, hadn't taken much set.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 03:28:14 pm »
tHESE EXPERIENCES ARE VERY INTERESTING AND INFORMATIVE.....WE CAN ALL LEARN FROM THESE TYPES OF POSTS. THANKS FOR POSTING GUYS.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 03:29:50 pm »
Lennie, was that horizontal or vertical boo flooring?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 03:53:18 pm »
SHOULDA MENTIONED THAT I'M USING VERTICAL CARBONIZED....

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 04:10:40 pm »
I believe it was vertical, it looked like a quartersawn board (IIIIII).  It works quite a bit like regular wood.  I understsand the horizontal stuff doesn't work as well.  I think the carbonized is supposed to be OK on bellies.  There were a couple of guys posting on the Leatherwall who made a lot of these bows.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

DBernier

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 05:53:48 pm »
I made one about a month ago. It was bamboo backed with a floor bamboo belly. It was 64 inches N to N and came in at 47# at 28. It is a reflex/deflex design and has lost about 2 inchs of reflex after a 100 shots or more. It will be at the NC Traditional shoot in May. Anyone who wants to shoot it can. It is a very smoth bow.

Dick Bernier

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 05:56:13 pm by DBernier »

DBernier

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 05:57:50 pm »
Sorry for the extra photos

Dick

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 06:46:10 pm »
Verticle grained boo flooring is excellent for belly material, any excessive set may have been due to poor quality flooring. I have had very good luck with a boo flooring belly, maple core and raw boo back.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 08:11:22 pm »
hmmmm, I should be able to come up with that combo, 'burger...

Just a thought here, but I was wondering if it might work to use two thin lams of hickory and sandwich the flooring....would be an effictive use of resources? or wasting hickory on the belly???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 01:01:25 am »
The stuff I used was the horizontal. Bows came out thick and took a bit of set.They are hickory backed with Perry reflex.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 12:10:30 pm »
BooFloo was what I started with 15 years ago.  I still think it's great stuff.  A few points we have learned over the years.  I made a lot of bows AND a lot of failures with it over my first few years.

Use vertically laminated flooring.  It is far more consistent and homogenous.   Buy the NON-carmelized stuff, if you can.  Originally, I got some bad info that it would be harder than the natural, like when you toast a bamboo belly, but it is carmelized with a high heat/high pressure, water/steam pressure cooking method apparently, and the natural raw stuff is far superior.  Or, use what you have.  It's fine, just not as stiff, takes more set.

Quality varies widely.  Some of it was very heavy and dense, and some varied a lot within the box.  It can be pretty heavy, but it does make a bow that feels smooth to draw and damp in the hand at the shot.

It DOES take a lot of set, but that IS also a design issue. Not much more than a lot of softer woods like elm, though.   Boofloo is not as stiff as most woods used for bellies, like ipe, massaranduba, and osage, so they often end up thicker as well as wider, and I think this contributes to set.  It acts different from regular wood, and seems to not actually fret or compression fracture until WAY over-strained in one small area.  It's less likely to fail outright or completely.  I have made some BADLY hinged bows, or bows with WAY too much bend in the inner limbs that survived (but they kinda sucked, too).   But, it will settle, more than most woods.  For this reason, bamboo R/D bows were made a lot over on stickbow.com, where the bow was put into a slightly exaggerated bow form, in two gluing sessions: backing to tapered core, and then belly, or Perry reflexed where the backings were purposely left a bit thicker, like 3/16, and the glue up had a LOT of R/D, expecting to lose a lot of it.  But, the set thing ws never really nailed down as to cause, and a lot of guys say they didn't have trouble with it.

Hickory is probably a great match, just like bamboo is, and should make layout a snap.  I have also backed it with linen once making bows with the scouts.  Just glued up pyramid bow blanks with linen backs in slight reflex and thinned them to draw weight.  The epoxy finish with aluminum oxide in it eats tools, so if you can find a way to get your blades up under it, that helps.  It usually comes in 5/8" thicknesses, but 1/2" belly lam with a 1/8" backing should be plenty for straight bows and a little less for R/D.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:16:56 pm by Springbuck »

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 12:38:26 pm »
Springbuck - Thanx much for resurrecting this thread!  I just bought a partial box of boo flooring to use this way.  Here's hoping it works!  :)  Even if it don't, I only gave $5 for the box...  Now to find a good selection of backing strip materials to play with!

OneBow
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:16:33 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 12:47:41 pm »
Well, Eric, if ya have a partial box then can make me one too!   >:D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857