Author Topic: Got the living...  (Read 4782 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Got the living...
« on: May 23, 2010, 08:44:12 pm »
crap scared out of me this afternoon.  i was riding out on my farm to one of my foodplots to dump some gar i killed today while bowfishing and all of a sudden it sounded like i had just run over bigfoot.  no lie, it was the god awefullest sound i ever heard in the woods.  needless to say i kept going and dumped the gar.  on the way back i stopped about 50 yards from where i had heard the ruckus and parked.  i put on my best copy of eddie parker's ninja stealth technique and eased up and when i was about 10 feet it went off again.  this time i was ready but abby did a 180 and hid behind me.  i guessed it was coming from the bottom of a small pine and when i got there this stood up on very wobble legs.  it couldn't be more than a day or two old but it was one of the most vocal fawns i'd ever heard.  about then two does came running to about 15 yards away and started snorting at me.  i made sure it could walk before i left, wanted to make sure i didn't run over it on my way in.  hope the little fellow makes it, but it better learn to shut up with all the yotes running around the farm.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:43:16 pm by Mechslasher »
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Got the living...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:24:48 pm »
 That's cool, Chris. He'll definitely have to learn to shut up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 09:53:34 pm »
Thats cool Chris...when I was about 24 I damned near step on one when I was Hiking....It would not flinch...nor open an Eye...He was playing dead ...hoping I would leave...and I did...after I snapped a few pictures for myself...pretty cool to find them like this in the wild...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 11:36:57 pm »
That's a cute little feller. Maybe he just laid down in one of those big far-ant mounds. ;D And don't be hatin' on my attack dog Abby. Looks like I'm gonna have to bring her up here and do some training on her if you're teachin' her to be skeered of little baby deer. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:41:54 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:18:54 am »
Cool pic Chris. That fawn looks mean...like he's gonna bite you. ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 07:05:29 am »
Looks like he's sticking his tongue out at you ;D. Learning how to shup up will prolly be his last lesson ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:05:06 am »
Cool find hope he makes it.  He really doesn't look like he wanted his picture taken, though...   ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 12:05:50 pm »
steve, after it stood up and started wobbling away, abby took off after it.  i'm guessing it looked kind of comical with me trying to snap a pic and keep abby from attacking the little fellow at the same time.  the gar are getting in their summer mode.  in mill cr. i had six or more circling the boat at one time.  managed to get one before they went deep.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

HatchA

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 05:20:24 pm »
Man, I actually thought the pic was photoshopped :D 

I bet you're glad it didn't turn out to be Bigfoot.... and a little embarrassed at emptying your bowels over such a cute ikkle roast on legs ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »
Chris, I'll try to get down there in a couple weeks and help you put a stop to some of that gar aggression. ;D  Throw any jugs?
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 09:55:49 pm »
 I might see if I can help you and Steve out or Steve could meet us at the Alexacarrie Plantation. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 11:21:27 pm »
Chris, I had seen a little one like that the other night, wobbly legs and all, right on the side of hwy 7 just before it comes into 81. Wouldn't have even seen it, if I hadn't pulled over to take a call.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 08:33:50 am »
Eddie, I'd love to, but every trip to Alexacarrie that y'all plot is always on the one week of the year that I have plans. I can have fifty free weekends, and the trip always falls on one of the other two.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 12:00:19 pm »
lombard, the strip of hwy 7 between 81 and mill cr. bridge has always held fawns in the spring.  especially on the right side as you head towards mill cr.  my farm is only 250-300 yards from hwy 7.  when i was a teenager, i was on the back of my cousins motor cycle heading down hwy 7 and all of a sudden he slammed on the brakes and ran into the ditch laying the bike down with me on it wondering what the hay is going on.  next thing i know he's running through the woods chasing a fawn that had just ran across the road.  needless to say, i had some choice words for his lack of communication!

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline J. DEMPLER

• It ain't knappin' if you ain't bleedin'
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 01:51:09 pm »
Right now is a bad time for the baby deer in my area. With all the hay cutting going on. Every year I seem to chop up at least one or two. The little boogers will not move and if you are lucky to spot them its usually to late. 
Its not a pretty sight when you hit one with a disc mower.  :(
There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana