Author Topic: N.C. Knap-In  (Read 4751 times)

Offline Hardawaypoints

N.C. Knap-In
« on: May 22, 2010, 04:06:52 pm »
It is looking like Joe (Arrapaho) may have found another place to hold our Knap-In.  We just got back from a meeting with the property owner and he sounds pretty gung-ho about the idea.  He actually came to the first knap-in we had in Burlington with a buddy of mine.  This site has even more land than the original location, (it itoo is a grass landing strip) though it is visible from the road.  We haven't set a firm date yet, but are shooting for September 17-18-19, 2010.  I will post more info as we get organized. 

We always have such a good time with it, I hope to carry this event on. 

I'd be interested in any feedback or suggestions to see what kind of interest is out there.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline n2everythg

Re: N.C. Knap-In
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 04:12:41 pm »
hay jim I'm interested.
would be nice to keep it rolling.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline warhawk

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:25:24 pm »
I'm deeply interested in joining anything that will bring me in contact with FlintKnapping can you give us more infomation as soon as possible so i can make arrangement to attend. I truly appreciate the effort that it take to arrrange this kind of event. I was also think that we could do like in the mountain man days and do trading site for exchange of commodities between persons looking for specific rocks or items. I would like to learn to make primitive bows and arrows too. let me stop now.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:01:06 am »
where in NC is this gonna be?  I'm interested! 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 12:36:24 am »
It looks like it will be in Orange, County, N.C, near Chapel Hill.

Jim

Offline toms22

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 03:42:30 am »
Jim are you not going to have it in Burlington like you did last year. I am interested, I liked Burlington it is closer for me.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 04:21:43 pm »
The Burlington site was put up for sale at some point.  Dick would know more about it than I do.  It has been very difficult to find a suitable location with a willing landowner.  Originally I had been looking around Falls or Jordan Lakes, but the stste does not allow the sale of goods or services within the boundaries of a State Park> 

We have to do the best with what we have.

Jim

Offline arappaho

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 11:02:02 pm »
Yes, the old spot was nice, but I think this new spot is going to work as well.
Just like the old spot, these fields were once used as an air strip so there's plenty of
room to spread out and set up archery and atlatl throwing areas. It's right outside
of Chapel Hill on a main road, so there's much more access to the public and general
weekend spectator. The farmer raises beef cattle and sells his beef, and pork and chicken
from neighbor farms, from his store on the property. All we need is a community grill! ;D

I think this spot has a lot of potential and hope to see ALOT of knappers turn up.
We'd like to keep what has been a real enjoyable event going. We will be providing more
information as we get it organized.
Hope Sept. 17-19 sounds good to everyone.
Let's Party!!! ;D

Joe

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 08:42:40 am »
I have many things worked out and a few things still to go.
Here;
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,20302.0.html
is the thread from the shoots & events topic.

Jim

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 01:42:27 am »
All I need is an address and directions.  Me and Montana will be there.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 03:15:36 pm »
Wish I could join you, but I already have a vacation planned for those days. Take lots of pics for posting!

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 04:23:45 pm »
I'm sorry you're going to miss it, StevenT. I enjoyed chipping rock with you last time.
 I will make more of an effort to take a lot of pictures this year.

Jim

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 04:23:03 pm »
Joe & I were on site today doing some planning with the Landowner.  There is plenty of space to camp, park, and have an archery/atlatl range there.  The site is a 50 acre field and we will be using the grass runway as the primary gathering area.  The Landowner is going to mow and cut hay off it before we hold the event.  Things are looking good. 

Thanks for the responses I've gotten so far. I'm looking forward to seeing & meeting you all.  We are still looking for raffle items, so if you have something to share, we'd appreciate it.  If you can only bring yourself, do it.  Come see us.

Jim

Offline arappaho

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 09:12:51 pm »
Well Steve, I'm sorry to hear you have conflicting plans. But we will try hard to
take more pictures! ;)

As a matter of fact, I started today. Not trying to bore you all but here's a few pics of the new site.
This is where most of the action will be, infront of the wood pile, at the curve in the road.
The road goes straight left out to the main road, Old NC 86, which is called Old Fayetteville Road in
some sections. There are two cars on the road in the left background of this pic, so you can see
there's plenty of room to move around.

We are in about the middle of the field here. At the other, or north, end of the field is an
interesting stone 'structure' the residents have named "Stone Knoll".

I don't know what the history of this place is yet, or how old it is, but they have gone to
a lot of effort and expense to erect this. Each major direction stone has a plaque and the
directions are designated to the Eagle, Coyote, Bear , and White Buffaloe.

CenterStone

So here's one last pic looking from the Stone Knoll back down across the new site.
The entrance to the Knap-In will be right where that white tent is way in the background
about smack dab in the middle of the pic.

I think this is site should work out Great!
Hope to see you there.
Joe

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 09:40:02 pm »
Good luck with u fellas getting it going down there!  Keep it alive by any means even if it has to be along a river bank... I would come if I can make it.  Just remind me I will see what I can do...Good luck...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill