Author Topic: That sounded like a cra .......boom!  (Read 5487 times)

Offline Diligence

That sounded like a cra .......boom!
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:59:35 pm »
Broke my first bow last night.  Just a 10# D-shape elm branch kid's bow under construction (which I was doing in trade for a fletching jig), but still it was a bow.

I had roughed it out with a drawknife and spokeshave and was just hand bending it to work on the tiller when I heard that little sound.  It was just a "tic"...then instantaneously it went "boom"...scared the dickens out of me.  Made me jump in fact.  I can hardly wait to blow up a 55 pounder.  :o :o  cuz, I think that would be fun  ::)

I can only imagine how much a person must jump when you blow a big one!

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: That sounded like a cra .......boom!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 02:31:50 pm »
You have my sympathy...my experimental one went with a nice bang.
I think kids bows are actually harder to tiller than a big fat longbow.
I want want to creep up behind someone tillering abow and pop a paper bag >:D have to run pretty quick.
We used to clap loudly behind any new guy testing high voltage power supplies when I used to work in electronics test  ;D get's 'em every time.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 02:32:14 pm »
happened to me a few days ago.  Blew at full draw at about 60#.  If I could figure out a way to aim an exploding limb fragment, I could probably kill a deer without an arrow...just blow up a bow 10 yards away.  Man those pieces flew fast!  BTW, it was a red oak board bow.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:35:21 pm by Rain Man »

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:12:17 am »
i think we have all been there my most memorable one blew at full draw 55 # three of the five pieces hit me ,one in the head , the ribs and the hip , considering i was holding the fifth piece i only missed with one !! now thats aiming

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 01:12:28 am »
It's a rush to pop any bow.  :D I have only broke a few over the years but they were good uns! Lots of small pieces.  I think ERC is the most exciting! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 01:40:52 am »
The one I blew a few days broke clean with 3 pieces, and it went so fast that I didn't really have time to process what got hit and where.  What are the dangers or what should I be aware of when anticipating this happening?  For instance, if I were expecting the upper limb to go, where should I expect it to hit, or what are the precautions I should make? 

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 05:06:47 am »
The one I blew a few days broke clean with 3 pieces, and it went so fast that I didn't really have time to process what got hit and where.  What are the dangers or what should I be aware of when anticipating this happening?  For instance, if I were expecting the upper limb to go, where should I expect it to hit, or what are the precautions I should make? 
You are pretty safe with a tiller rig as you will be back from the bow, pulling a rope, or winding a handle. Never get your face to it at absolutely full tiller.
A good Q is 'how much safety factor do you add in' my 24" draw bow, didn't make it to my 25" safety margin...whoops.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 10:30:15 am »
Photos photos we need photos. ;D ;D ;D
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 11:30:43 am »
If you are anticipating one limb will blow, put that bow away until you can come up with a remedy that might make it safer. If there is no remedy, make fire wood out of it!!!   It isn't worth injury just to complete a bow. I have heard stories of folks having to pull a piece of their bow out of their shop ceiling so the power behind an exploding bow is enough to cause serious injury or worse.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Lombard

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 11:46:46 am »
I have done a couple ERC bows, and found out quickly why it was necessary to have a rope and pulley system. Not only safer, but one can see the bow bend much better.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 02:35:08 pm »
I would call having a 50lbs bow blowing up in ur face too exciting!  I get a little nervous when I tiller a bow!  I think I should invest in a pulley system and some rope.  Sorry about the bow also think of the time u put into that one compared to a 50lb one.  ANyway have a good day!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 02:58:50 pm »
I've had them go at full draw and also on the rope and pulley. It's much better when they go on the rope and pulley. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 11:28:34 pm »
It's a rush to pop any bow.  :D I have only broke a few over the years but they were good uns! Lots of small pieces.  I think ERC is the most exciting! ;D
I second the ERC explosion.  When it goes it goes BIG :o.  It took me a little bit of time to feel comfortable drawing my others to full draw after that BOOM.  It was a real suprise because I had drawn in many times to 27" on the tiller tree.  Then about the fith actual draw by hand it blew.  It feels pretty silly when you punch yourself in the face. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 12:25:36 am »
I second the ERC explosion.  When it goes it goes BIG :o.  It took me a little bit of time to feel comfortable drawing my others to full draw after that BOOM.  It was a real suprise because I had drawn in many times to 27" on the tiller tree.  Then about the fith actual draw by hand it blew.  It feels pretty silly when you punch yourself in the face. ;D
My last bb was at 27" on the tree. Stepped back to check tiller, saw what needed to be done. Went back to take it off the tree. The second I touched the string on the tree...TIC, TIC....I jumped back at the same time it blew. This thing was pullin close to 60#.
No damage to anything but my pride ;D, but if that thing made contact...sompthin would have been hurt...I can here those tics ten feet away now ;D
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 07:31:20 am »
I've only had one to blow - red oak kids bow. I didn't get hit with any of the projectiles but it rattled the bones in my wrist pretty good ;D. Now I'm a little skeptical about thes ERC staves I have in the shed, hmm..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.