Author Topic: Alternative to feather fletch?  (Read 9355 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Alternative to feather fletch?
« on: May 22, 2010, 02:14:02 am »
I was wondering about squirrel, skunk, fox, etc. tails skinned out and glued raw around the back of an arrow to stabilize its flight.  Anybody try this?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Alternative to feather fletch?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:14:20 am »
Anything that adds resistance to the airflow will work as fletching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline shikari

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 10:55:49 am »
Parchment was used by turkish  archers in the flight arrows.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 11:08:16 am »
I've read somewhere, maybe here, about leather being used, but I always thought that would be heavy.  Can't say for sure as I have never tried it though.  ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

bowkee

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 01:08:49 am »
I always wondered about thin leather and a 2 fletch.Phillip

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:16:40 am »
There was an article a couple of issues back in PA,about leather fletch.Seemed to work fine.  :) :)Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 03:55:36 pm »
Real parchment is leather, not pounded vegetable matter (paper).  It can be readily stiffened with glue.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 07:40:05 pm »
The problem with anything planar that ISNT feather, is that it won't collapse parallel to the direction of travel without jutting out excessively sideways, slowing and altering the course of the arrow.  Leather that is too soft will deform as it clears the bow and stay deformed, leather that is too stiff will bounce as it clears the bow and not fly true.  The reason I'm intrigued by squirrel tails, is the fur will flatten and stay that way as long as the arrow flies true.  If it starts off course, only the fur on the lee side will lift, creating drag to correct the flight.  Does this ring true to anybody?  Or is my hypothesis flawed?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:01:45 pm »
When in doubt, Try it out !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 07:31:03 pm »
I would say, try something like what is put behind a dart. A dart is stable right? so why wouldnt an arrow be, just make it proportional. the squirrel tail sounds interesting, maybe wrapped around to make the hairs pop out and spiral it down a couple of inches.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

bowkee

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 11:44:49 pm »
long as the hair is pointed backwards unless ya want a flu flu ;)

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 01:01:08 am »
A squirrel-tail flu-flu would be perfect for hunting squirrels!  >:D

Offline karrow

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 11:12:35 am »
theres only one way to find out might be on to sumthin

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 04:20:35 pm »
Just waitin on acquiring some dead squirrels.  I'll report back when/if I learn anything.

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 11:29:03 am »
I have a non primitive solution that I've been using whilst I try to find a cheap local source of feathers: clear packing tape. I had a bunch of rolls I got for free from work, and it works slicker than I thought it would.  The tape's about 1 7/8" wide. I started off doing 2 vane fletches. I'd lay one piece of tape on the shaft, rotate the shaft 180 degrees and apply another piece. They stick together, and to the shaft. Cut to shape, trim up, and bang, done.

I then made a very simple jig, with 2 block of wood set at a 120 degree angle to eachother, and more wood on the end with holes drilled to hold the arrow. I put the shaft through the holes, and put a 1" by 4" piece of paper resting on the block on either side of the shaft. Apply one piece of tape that hits the shaft in the center, and just about covers each piece of paper. take out, rotate 120 degrees, repeat, and once more, and bang, 3 vaned fletch for a cost of about zero, no glue or fletching tape needed.

I thought this would only hold up for a couple shots, but the fletching lasts longer than the arrows; I either break the arrow when I shoot something hard, or lose it in the bush.

Riley's cheap fletching method mark 3 will involve making a simple die cutter so I can cut nice parabolic profiles on my cheapie vanes; also, I plan on making a pivoting cut through a couple pieces of wood so that I'll be able to automatically work in a 5 degree offset.

I'll post pictures of what I've got if I can ever find my camera.  cheers!
Riley, Saint Paul, MN