Author Topic: question about wood  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Blacktail

question about wood
« on: May 20, 2010, 12:28:26 pm »
i have been looking at some yew wood and found one that is pretty nice...BUT,at the base of the tree its scared..it looks like both layers of bark has been taken off and the sap wood is gray and has some minor cracking on one side of the tree...the other side is in very good shape...i am just wondering if any one has mess around with exposed sap wood...john

Offline adb

Re: question about wood
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 01:55:53 pm »
pics would be good

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:03:53 pm »
 Yep,pics are needed !!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 06:32:12 pm »
I suggest you cut it, season it, send it to me and I'll let you know if it makes a bow.  Ok?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:31:13 am »
jw..that sounds great but i think the shipping would kill me....i know you guys want pics but i didnt have camera...and i think if i did cut it this winter the spot with exposed sap wood will be sinew backed or some sort of backing...

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 02:05:08 am »
If the tree is still growning and has leaves on it it should be good somewhere!  Yes pictures!!!
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 10:24:03 am »
Sounds like the tree took a bit of a scuffing at the base, you see that a lot where logging or thinning is going on in the woods.  What you have at the base of the tree will become what is known in the logging trade as a "cat face".  The scar is most likely dead there (but then 90% of a living tree is dead anyway, only the very thinnest outside layer is actually alive).  The tree will continue to try to close over that scar with healthy new tissue for years to come, and if it lives long enough probably will. 

Go back to that tree and look at the rest of the wood, unless you cut it the same season as the scar was produced, you are going to want to avoid having that scar in the bow.  I would seriously avoid using the scarred portion even if I cut it the very day the wound happened because I would be concerned that the wood under the scar was bruised/crushed/compromised in some way.  As you say, the other side is in good shape.  I probably wouldn't worry about that other side, go ahead and cut it and send THAT portion to me.  Offer still stands, I'll let you know how it turns out. ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.