Author Topic: wood (tree) selection in the feild (forest) lol  (Read 2522 times)

Offline dan catalyst

wood (tree) selection in the feild (forest) lol
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:45:48 pm »
 hello all, im new to primitive archery,and had a couple questions about selecting trees in the forest to use as staves.ive built a couple flintlocks and have pretty good wood skills,so im looking to build something a little more involved than a simple stright lemonwood bow.im thinking a laminate might not be the best idea for a first bow,so i want to built a single species (no laminate) type steamed recurve.i want to harvest the wood myself here in the woods of east texas.i own a chainsaw and bandsaw,and really just need some pointers on what type of wood to use,how long to let it dry before i start working it what diameter tree and any other pointers you might have for a beginner. thanks!
                        dan

Offline osage outlaw

Re: wood (tree) selection in the feild (forest) lol
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:23:01 pm »
Do they have osage in E. Texas?  If so, that would be a good start.  Are you close to Nocona?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline dan catalyst

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:25:19 am »
i might be a little too far south (houston) for the osage orange, but im not sure. i know we have hickory.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:27:50 am »
nothing wrong with hick
it likes a dry climate too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:05:58 pm »
Hickory would work out great.  Choose straight tree that doesn't have much twist.  The rule of thumb is an inch of wood seasoned per year  - from each side of the split stave, that is.  If you reduce the stave to near bow dimensions you could speed up the process. 
It can be sped up using a hot box or a hot car.  Or you could smoke the stave over a low heat fire for hours after it is partially seasoned.  I guess it all kinda depends on where you're at with the process.  You'll need to seal the ends of your stave with cheap wood glue or paint, so they don't crack.  If you don't have a mentor, a recurve may be really difficult for your first.  Ain't nothin wrong with a straight longbow and learning to tiller takes time and patience.  Check out George's site and read read read.
I wish you good luck and hope you enjoy yourself.
1’—>1’

Offline dan catalyst

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:27:35 am »
 yes george has a welth of info on his site.im starting to think i might not have the patience or equiptment needed to dry hickory enough,and i found two beautiful oaks on the trail today.they are about 5-6'' around.i think the practice tillering and the like is the most important part for now,so im just going to pick one and get started on it.5-6'' around should be ok?

Offline dan catalyst

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:32:01 am »
i just had another idea,monday is my next day off,so im thinking about taking some pictures of 4-5 trees that i have my eye on.that way you guys can stop me from killing a inocent tree that might have flaws not noticed to an experienced builder like myself.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 02:03:41 am »
Hi Dan no matter what you can use the tree for something!  There are many books on finding and felling of trees for good bow wood.  There are also better times of the year to harvest a tree as well.  It all goes with preference, species type, and how you treat it afterwards.  Some wood need to be split and debarked right away while others its best to leave the bark on and let season.  Good luck and show us some pictures!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline tombo

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:36:11 pm »
Don't forget the lowly Hackberry. You have lots in your area...along creeks and fencelines. Find one that's pretty straight with few twigs on the trunk or limb you cut.
Tom