Author Topic: D bow handle?  (Read 7207 times)

woody

Re: D bow handle?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 12:01:43 pm »
Kegan, I see your dilemma with heavier draw weights.  Do you think wrapping some sort of metal wire around the handle would be enough weight addition...it seems like it would flex throughout the draw, but I've never tried it.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 03:08:23 pm »
The trouble with wire is that any handshock would bite into the hand. The only wire I have is very hard to bend as well, at least without little kinks that would make it even more painful.

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »
Kegan - how about wrapping the handle area with sheet lead, and then covering it with leather or cord wrapping?  Soft enough to bend readily.  More added weight than anything else short of depleted uranium (and a lot more primitive than d-U).
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 06:18:30 pm »
Gold coins!  Then if you miss with the bow, you can stop at the butcher shop on the way home.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bernhard Langbogen

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 01:47:30 pm »
Please do not!
If the longbow is already finished and bend in the handle , gluing no handle.
Either the bow breaks in the fadeout or the handle bursts away.
The leather is only exacerbated.

Bernhard

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 07:07:30 pm »
Please do not!
If the longbow is already finished and bend in the handle , gluing no handle.
Either the bow breaks in the fadeout or the handle bursts away.
The leather is only exacerbated.

Bernhard

That's the point. The leather allows the bow to bend like it's supposed to, but have a little weight with a wooden egg-grip on top of it :).

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 07:36:10 pm »
I tried that on a self bow. Worked, but the leather eventually gave up where it was laminated to the handle as the wood handle did not flex causing the leather to pull away from it. Course one failure dose not mean it willl not work. Hope y'all figure it out.
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline Bernhard Langbogen

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 01:34:14 pm »
It depends only on the bend in the handle.

Bernhard

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 03:50:22 pm »
Kegan, while we're discussing out-of-box handle designs.  What about this idea.  Take the egg shaped wooden insert and make a few cross-section cuts across it.  Then glue the piece back together with leather disc between--kind of like disc in a spinal column.  This would allow the wooden insert to flex a bit.  Just a thought.
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Kegan

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 07:06:44 pm »
Dave, that's a pretty good idea! I'm curious to see how thin the wooden lams would have to be to flew properly, but that sure would look neat too!

Right now I'm thinking I went a bit far with the egg shape. If the purpose of the leather is just to cushion the bend, then the handle would only need to be radiused enough to fit along the belly of the bow at full draw, with any extra radiusing being a bit of a waste. I'm working on a couple D bows now that I might put a handle on, dpepending on how they turn out. If I do, I'll give this a try on one.