Author Topic: burlap backing  (Read 3234 times)

Offline chuckp

burlap backing
« on: May 14, 2010, 08:25:18 pm »
I'd like to apply some burlap backing to my hickory bow. From what I read it seems pretty simple. Any tricks of the trade I should be aware of?
 Is burlap- burlap or are there certain types?
Is titebond glue O.K?
Any prep work required on the hickory?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: burlap backing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 04:06:58 am »
Titebond 2 or 3 would be better in the rain. Get the real burlap. There's info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/burlap.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:49:35 am »
Like Jawge said, Titebond 2 or 3, and burlap should be burlap. The way I apply burlap probably isn't the norm, but I soak the cut strip in warm water for a few minures while I apply the glue to the back of the bow. Then remove the burlap from the water, blot the excess water out with a towell, then clamp one end, stretch, and apply. I feel the wet burlap will "wick" in the glue better, and also allow you to stretch it out some--same with linen. Cloth doesn't retract as much as wet sinew or rawhide, but its a superstition I still practice. You can then "water-down" a second coat of glue and apply on top the burlap, either now or later after it dries. The main advantage to applying 2 thinned down coats of glue is you can control the thickness or density of the glue if you want to avoid having a really heavy backing. Sorry this is long winded. Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline chuckp

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 01:05:35 pm »
Thanks for the replies, sounds easy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 02:15:09 pm »
Is your bow a board bow or from a stave. If a stave, and possibly a board bow, no backing is generally needed with hickory.
  The only problem I would have with burlap(I have never used it) would be the extra physical weigh added to the limbs because of it's thickness and the amount of glue it will hold. I prefer linen, silk or rawhide bow backing bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chuckp

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:08:34 pm »
I finished backing my hickory bow with burlap. I think it came out great. Looks good too, at least to me. What is the downside. I keep hearing that hickory doesn't need it, but so what? How will it hurt?
Backing with burlap is cheap, fast and inexpensive. I have a long draw and now when I draw back I'm more assured I'm safe. Kind of like wearing safety glasses when they aren't necessarily needed.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:46:59 pm »
You know I went to a craft store and bought two yards of 100% linen.  You get enought material to back 15 bow.  I also got some silk.  Seems I like the linen more.  Seems to suck up the glue better.  I figured burlap would be heavy.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 01:28:58 pm »
Chuck, I only add a backing if needed; bad knots, run offs, ring violations, etc. When you add any backing you also add physical weight that robs the limb of cast. A hickory selfbow with the ring under the bark as the back is about as strong of a backing as you can have. Why add the extra weight if not needed. I have made lots of hickory selfbows and never had a failure...have had some end up badly bent but never broke!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Lombard

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 02:09:43 pm »
Need to see the photos... ???