Author Topic: Ebay Tonkin Cane Seller/China  (Read 6538 times)

PeteDavis

Ebay Tonkin Cane Seller/China
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:22:49 am »
Has anyone here bought shafting from the Chinese folks on Ebay? Feedback looks OK.

I have found Tonkins to be STIFF.

I wonder if his lower spines (35-40) might be the lots to buy.

I'd bet 3rivers is getting their shafts from this seller.

PD

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
Re: Ebay Tonkin Cane Seller/China
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:24:08 am »
We were discussing this on ATARN the other day..  Species of bamboo is not mentioned in the ads, so Tonkin bamboo may not be what he's selling.  Could be Pseudosasa japonica (Japanese Arrow Bamboo) or anything else for that matter.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:07:38 am »
I have a friend in Lower Michigan that swears by this Seller...the only thing he says is...he has to sand the shafts to spine match....but that's about a given....with Cane or Boo....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline tahgahjute

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 01:00:09 pm »
i had bought some from him a while back.i made about 4 dozen arrows for my kids out of them.they seem fine to me.

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:09:14 pm »
i dont see anyone selling cane
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:31:18 pm »
Aero...Tonkin isn't Cane...it's Bamboo
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 05:53:03 pm »
oh, i know, did mean to put tonkin, but in my mind ive got it generalized under cane! ;D

ok i found it.  i wonder where he measures his spine.  26 or 28..

i might buy a load of that one day.  i like putting them together, but ive gotten burned out on straightening lots of shafts and not making many arrows..  for the time being anyways
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:00:57 pm by aero86 »
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 06:10:54 pm »
You can buy from this Guy overseas....or You go and check with David and Cora Knight...(KnightD) you will never get burned there...I will guarantee you that...David does a great Job...but Cora is the Queen of Cane.... ;)...Man Her Arrows look like Carbon Shafts when they are done.... I just bought 2 Dozen from them...and I have 400 pieces of Cane and Boo in My Garage....ain't no way that I can make them look like Theirs...so why try...... :D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 12:24:30 am »
I'll second the comment on David and Cora Knight, I also bought some and I'd go nuts trying to get them as straight as theirs are and the price is great.
VB

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 07:28:38 pm »
i know how it is trying to get them straight.  i just made a bunch of poplar arrows.  it didnt feel right making them.  havent shot them yet.  i might need to go with knightd if id like to reach my goal soon

Offline Cromm

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 11:12:45 am »
Hi,
If it's the same guy on ebay I won 24 shafts 60-65lb for $26 to my door, I asked him if he could send closer to 65lbs and around 500-515gr. It took 9 days to get to me. I have just spine tested them they are 64.5lb to 65.5lb and 500gr to 518gr. And looking at them, they are the as straightest I have had from anyone. For $26 I am a happy man ;D
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 10:46:08 am »
 Correct me ifin I'm wrong, but isn't Cane and Bamboo, both actually Bamboo? Just like a clydesdale, appaloosa, and a pony are all horses. I have ate so much Crow in my time that I could write a resipie book on how to cook it, so ifin I'm wrong, let me have it. When I'm done eatin, I can at least say I have learned somethin!!!
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 01:03:26 pm »
its all grass, yeah.  just different types.  just like black, white, yellow, brown and red are all types of birds.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 02:03:27 pm »
...all bamboos are cane but not all cane is bamboo.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 03:50:35 pm »
Dose that mean I eat half a Crow??? ;D ;D ;D
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat