Author Topic: Anybody have a timberhitch get loose???  (Read 2190 times)

Offline bigcountry

Anybody have a timberhitch get loose???
« on: May 13, 2010, 07:58:54 pm »
Was tillering an osage bow last night.  I have a loop on one end, and a timberhitch on another.  Strung up the bow, and was checking tiller with my gizmo.  All the sudden, bow snaps out of my hand, smacks me in the jaw. 

Some how the timber hitch side has 4 strands broke and slide down the limb like a "looped" side.  It tore a small crack from the inside of the nock down 1".  I had to shorten the bow limb by 1".

Still can't figure out what happened.
Westminster, MD

Offline bowstring

Re: Anybody have a timberhitch get loose???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:34:47 pm »
   Bigcountry,
 I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you had a sharp edge in the nock. Happened to me once! Or, you had a tiny fracture in the nock, and the pressure on the string sheared it's way in and cut the string,,, One way to help prevent this is to rub nock grooves with a Q-Tip, or cotton swab. any snags or rough spots will really show up!! "bowstring"
"We are, what we do, when it counts"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:07:45 am »
I have used a timber hitch for many years and never had one come loose. I have had them slip a bit. Sounds like your nock gave loose. Will you post a pic of the tip?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 01:50:20 am »
I already cut and fixed it.  I designed this one with 1" longer or so tip limb.  Guess they now will be even.

After going over and over it, here is where I think I screwed up.  Number one my nocks ere sharp with respect to the bow back.  Two, I just got done adjusting the hitch to get my tiller to 5".  So I bet I didn't check on it again.  And one side fell off and the othe was only holding with 4 strands.

Another lesson for the toolbox.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:56:55 am by bigcountry »
Westminster, MD

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 10:03:08 am »
Nope, don't use them.  Got plenty of bow strings that I tiller with. big, I don't finish up the nocks until the bow hits full draw. I don't think you did anything  wrong  except may be not cut the nock deep enough. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 11:20:03 pm »
I have had an edge of a string groove crack because it was too sharp while building the bow. Never had a timber hitch come loose. I know they dont like to hold with fast flight strings quite as well but thats what I use and it works for me
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 07:07:12 am »
Only when I tied it wrong. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 12:49:08 pm »
Only when I tied it wrong. ;D

Another good possiblity. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 01:23:29 pm »
I think it would be impossible for a timber hitch to come out.  It may break or untwist if laid wrong.
  After the break was the knot still a knot?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC