Author Topic: T-dog's First selfbow  (Read 5537 times)

Offline tdog

T-dog's First selfbow
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:03:27 pm »
Well, almost 1 year after buying a hickory stave/blank at the Howard Hill shoot, I finally got around to completing my first selfbow. I started on the bow in February(fight after deer season) and got it to the floor tiller stage and left it until about 3 weeks ago. I then got the itch to finish and decided that I would have it done in time to shoot it at the HH this June. Lots of scraping, rasping, and sanding later, I had myself my first selfbow. I went for simple and safe by doing a pyramid style and made it plenty long(69"ntn). I originally planned to put some tip overlays on, but after getting it tillered to the point of being able to shoot it, I got so excited that I wanted to get it finished as soon as possible.

I would rate the bow as follows: Positives - smooth drawing, very quiet, surprisingly fast ;  Negatives - hand shock(but not much worse than most HH bows that I've shot), and the string tracks to the left of center somewhat which makes an armguard a necessity.

My impressions are that making a selfbow is not that hard, when you start with a good piece of wood. Making a selfbow that looks like most of the works of art that you guys post on here is another level altogether ;D

Well, here are some pics. Specs are: 69" ntn - Low #50's at 30"

[attachment deleted by admin]
It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline tombo

Re: T-dog's First selfbow
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:12:57 pm »
Nice looking bow Tdog. Certainly respectable your the 1st self bow. If you want to get rid of the elbow shock, thin your tips a bit. Tom

Offline tdog

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:14:48 pm »
Here is a full draw shot and a group that I shot from ~15yds

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Shadow Walker

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:44:01 pm »
That's an awesome job for your first bow! My first didn't turn out nearly as well.
Keep up the good work.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:52:27 pm »
Very nice job and especially for your first bow. Tiller looks great!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:39:27 am »
Very nice bow!!!   I wish my first looked that good, great grouping also.   :) You live around Birmingham?  I live in Gardendale/Fultondale Area...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline tdog

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:48:28 am »
Thanks guys. I read TBB 1 & 4 as well as countless posts on here and other sites and decided that a pyramid style would be best to try first. I had read that this style of bow was easiest to tiller, and that was true on this bow. Once I had the pyramid dimensions finished, I mostly just scraped(and scraped, and scraped!) equal numbers on each limb until I had it down to final weight. Only minor adjustments early on. I would definately recommend this style to anyone starting out.

I also made my first string for this bow. So far, neither has broken!LOL!

Josh, Wetumpka is about 1.5hr south of Birmingham, just above Montgomery.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:04:23 am »
Great looking self bow!  Hickory is fun to work with as it can be a challenge.  Tiller looks good and also appears to shoot a good group.  Good job and hopefully we will see more bows from u in the future!

Cheers

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 02:27:37 am »
That a really good first bow, that is for sure!
You mention it has a bit of hand shock. That could probably be reduced by narrowing the tips some more; there's plenty of material there.
Frank from Germany...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 05:30:32 am »
Great jon on that bow! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 07:41:13 am »
Very well done for you first,wished mine had turned out that good.  :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 08:36:23 am »
Very nice tiller, looks smooth and sweet.
But that glove is so 8o's  ;)
Nice to see a longer draw for a change (ELB style)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

half eye

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 08:50:40 am »
Better keep lookin over yer shoulder, eh? That bow buildin bug is sneeking up on ya :D Very nice, think about keeping it as you wont ever have another "first" and a few years up the road you'll be able to blame that bugger for all the trouble ya been up to.
Rich

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 11:02:27 am »
Very nice job on your first bow.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline tdog

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 11:34:43 am »
Rich, you are right, I can see where this could be addicitive. I will definately keep this one to hopefully see the improvement with each one made. I am going back to the HH shoot next month and will be looking for a new stave to start on. Also, I have about 40 acres of property that has lots of hickory that I may try out. I think making a bow from a tree on my own property would be cool. Killing a deer with it would be awesome, but I am getting ahead of myself.

Mark

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)