Author Topic: Cable-backed bow  (Read 24961 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Cable-backed bow
« on: May 11, 2010, 10:33:31 pm »
I have an older ash selfbow that doesn't get much use, it is 66" ttt, but a little light and a little slow for a hunting bow. I've been thinking about adding a cable backing to it with the hopes of improving performance. I was thinking of using either 6 strands of artifical sinew or braided jute. I know the jute  would likely be more authentic, but it only has  a single strand load limit of 4lbs which pales in comparison to the sinew. I've checked out some of the older posts and tried to do some achival research on Eskimo cable bows. If any one has any experience backing a bow with braided cable I would appreciate your input.
Thanks, Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Cable-backed bow
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 01:21:28 am »
Sorry man I know of only a few have made and Eskimo styled bow but the only advice is to check out the Bowyers Bible ..not sure which one as Im at work but the have a section on what materials to use.

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline mox1968

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:54:44 am »
theres a small book called the traditional archers handbook has a good section about a cable backed bow showing the way to string the cable etc.... by hillary greenland not a big book but loads of good info

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:00:10 am »
From what I've seen on another site where a guy did a reconstruction, and read elsewhere, cabling is only going to add 5# or so to the draw weight, and only marginally help the speed...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:36:42 am »
Get a copy of Primitive Technology II: Ancestral Skills. There is a three part chapter on replicating an arctic bow by Errett Callahan, using sinew cabling. The bow became a tremendous performer when the cable was added, unlike what Ken said. Just getting that much sinew was a huge challenge to building the bow. I dont have a copy at work, or I'd give more details.

The book is overall very nice to have.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:54 am »
Thanks for the info, I'm searching old articles now. Hopefully I'll have some pics soon.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 04:03:14 pm »
Here are some oics I collected on the net, maybe these help...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:22:51 pm »
There are other places to find info, but this is one of the best that is easily accessable:  http://www.primitiveways.com/cordage_backed_bow.html

I think this engineer author calculated a 20% increase in draw, but I did not understand the math.  Obviously one string is not going to do it, and despite making several, I have yet to find what is optimal, though I  have been happy with several designs.  Tim Baker said that the mass of the cable can be up to 25% the mass of the wood.  That is one big cable and I have done that on small bows with good results.

If you want performance but cannot have sinew I suggest you use nylon or nylon mix sting as best approximating sinew.  I have not tried artifical sinew yet, but it is on my list, but you are talking about 100 strands or something big like that.  If you want to use something natural, use sisal rather than jute as it peforms more like sinew per Baker's tests.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Deech

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:35:24 am »
The inupiaq(or the incorrect name Inuit) were not the only Eskimos, there also the sugpiaq(on the pacific coast of AK) and the Yupik(Yukon kuskokwim delta), anyway here is a sugpiaq bow design, and artificial sinew I hear isn't very good for cordage bows

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 02:04:17 pm »
I think swampmonkey built one last year, and I know halfeye built one , maybe search their posts or shoot'em a pm, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 03:42:38 pm »
I made one once with B50 dacron, worked fine but lacked a bit in terms of traditional appearance.  I don't even remember what I did with it.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Deech

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 04:40:59 pm »
The design I posted has measurements from a relic bow, but the measurements my people used were relative to themselves because they didn't need an exact one. If anyone tries to make one please let me know they're aren't many of these bows anymore.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 06:26:04 pm »
Deech, thanks for this info. I've come to appreciate the ingenuity and practicality of these artic bows.

I ended up building a hickory flatbow, 55" ttt. I purposely made it light weight and then backed it with 12 strands of artifical sinew. I'm pleased with the way it turned out; very light, very smooth. The cable added  7# or 8# as I recall. I want to do another sometime, probably make it a few inches longer.

I'll post a couple pics if I can locate them.

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 07:08:37 pm »
Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I think I have my next project :) That bow looks sweet Hrothgar. How did that one work out for you? Any thing you would have changed/done differently?

Thanks in advance.
>>>---------->

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 07:37:44 pm »
The cable does not necessarily add a lot of weight but that depends on how much you twist it.  I used a nylon cable and artificial sinew for two different bows.  Now that I can make sinew string I will try an Anasazi bow then another Eskimo bow.  Jack Crafty has a great build along and a youtube video that helps a lot.  buthcer shops have plenty of tendons to pound.  ;)

Eskimo bow thread:  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30234.0.html

Anasazi bow thread:  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22115.msg300176/topicseen.html#msg300176

One thing that was severely lacking in the nylon and arti. sinew was the ability to tie a sound knot when all is said and done.  I have had similar issues with jute on other projects.  The soldier hitches and half hitches were no trouble.  It was the final knot to end the project that kept coming loose.   I had to put super glue on those.  Beyond that I had fun learning to tie the appropriate knots.

If you enjoy details you will have a blast with this style bow.  Good luck and be sure to keep us posted on your progress.  take lots of pics.