Author Topic: ash- backed cherry holmgaard  (Read 7984 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
ash- backed cherry holmgaard
« on: May 09, 2010, 05:18:33 pm »
Just finnished this bow and thought you might like to see it. It is ash backed cherry. 69" ntn, 48#@27". It is made in 5 pieces, 2 backing strips butt joined in the centre with a handle overlay and 2 billets of cherry V-spliced together.All the joins are under the handle and cant be seen. It came out a bit light for me, I'm used to using ipe and bamboo and the stiffness at the floor tillering stage through me off ??? but anyway its a nice bow to shoot, no hand shock and a respectable speed for its weight. There are pin knots in the cherry but they dont appear to have done anything  O:) It has taken under an inch of set after shooting in.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:51:24 pm by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Re: ash- backed cherry holmgaard
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 05:26:06 pm »
Nice lines and detail work.
N2
Genesis 27: 3

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 05:33:31 pm »
heres a couple of full draw shots

'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:35:15 pm »
Nice design on that bow. Good Job Steve

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 05:53:55 pm »
I don't normally care for that design because I think most folks leave too little working limb and too much mass in the tips. But you executed it very nicely. That's a cool looking dagger - did you make it?
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 06:19:58 pm »
Like Gordon said...nicely done....I like the Lever Tips...but I too don't like them when they are damned near half the Limb Length....looks nice at full draw
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Frode

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 06:24:01 pm »
Very nice! I really like the tip/nock treatment!
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 06:30:32 pm »
 Very   nice!!  as  stated  above, I also  haven't  been  keen  on  this  type of  bow,  but  you  have  just  sparked an  intrest  I  me  my  friend!  thank you!!  where  did  you  find  the  dimensions??  and  could  you  share  w/ us  what  they  were?  I  would  like to  try  one  in  white  oak with  a  backing  of some  type  and  would  love to  know  the  numbers  on  this  bow!  thank you  very  nice  work!!! JEFFW

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 06:35:06 pm »
I love the tiller on this bow. The working and non working proportions are perfect.  I like the longer working portions. I also like that you haven't made the nonworking portions so thick. This bow reminds me of my first bow, great work and thanks for sharing.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

rattlesnake

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 06:39:40 pm »
i think that bow is beautiful!!...and the weight is just fine for deer hunting...super nice job!!....snake

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 07:00:33 pm »
Thanks a lot guys, I apreciate the compliments. I took a long time figuring out what dimensions these these woods could  take and I think I am close!!  As usual, in retrospect, I could have improved it, but I think the working sections need to be this long to avoid set, I wish I'd made the handle smaller though.
        Yes Gordon I made the dagger, did all the metal work myself, The bow has a Viking mood I feel and this knife is also in a Viking style, so I thought they went together, I just wanted a chance to show it off, probably not the right place though ??? Heres another pic. anyway

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 09:39:32 pm »
wow dragonman, that design is so simple but it gave it an exellent touch. By the way cool sword
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Lombard

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 10:02:57 pm »
Whatever else you may say about the bow, it sure looks nice, and that is a really nice looking blade.

bowkee

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 10:30:27 pm »
really nice bow tiller is cool too :)

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 11:38:20 pm »
Really nice arc. Never made one of those types,never had the urge. You did it well. ;)