Author Topic: what to do?  (Read 3919 times)

Offline aero86

what to do?
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:48:21 pm »
so i made another red oak board bow, pyramid style.  turned out really well, but, i couldnt remember the final thickness from the first one i made to get 45 lbs, so i cut too much thickness out.  now its a little over 30lbs at 28.  its still 6 foot, nocks an inch down from the ends.  what can i do to bring the weight up a bit?  right now, its a nice shooter and it looks decent too.  would recurving the tips make a weight difference?  or backing or shortening up a bit?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: what to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:58:22 pm »
have you already rounded the edges of the Back off good? If you haven't you can glue on a Backing ...like a Hickory Strip to get the Poundage back....or you can Pike it 3 inches on each Limb ...and retiller it....then recurving the Tip may give you  a Touch more...but it would really add a little more Pep to a Light Weight Bow....so Yes...Pike it...flip the Tips...and toast the Belly...all of this ...if done correctly ....should help you out....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:03:46 pm »
cool!  id really like to make a recurve.  and since this one is tillered already, when i do all that it should be close enough i could figure it out.

whats the best way to flip the tips, boiling for how long?

just heat the belly till it browns a bit as well?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:04:27 pm »
If it were mine, I would just cut an inch off both limbs and heat treat the belly with it pulled into reflex.  that should get you into the low 40's and take care of some string follow.  If you chance recurving the bow, there's a good chance you will mess it up.  Save recurving the tips on a bow for the first time on one you don't already have so much time invested in just in case something goes wrong... Yes I am speaking from experience.  I messed up and tried to recurve one that I was finished with and ended up messing up a bow that was just fine and shooting great, just wanted more speed.  Now I wish i had just left well enough alone.  Good luck to you whatever you decide, just my two cents worth.   ;D  ;)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:13:37 pm »
well, guess ill be practicing some recurving on TWO HALVES.  cut some length off and went to string it, bam, broke right after the fad on the lower limb.  tiller was pretty good on this thing, must have been a spot of grain problems with it. 

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 06:22:57 pm »
dang, Ryan that sucks... Oh well, no reason why you cant recurve the limbs now though... nothin to lose and great practice for the next one.   ;D   ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:24:40 pm »
yeah, as i was dumbfounded with a throbbing shin, i was thinking, what shall i do next?  practice recurves of course!  haha

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 01:57:01 am »
broke on the lower limb??? were you trying to string it doing the step through method?

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 10:39:09 am »
well, a version of it, i was pushing on the handle with my knee, so it would have been bending evenly

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 12:38:03 pm »
I've tried recurving red oak several times without success.  From a stave it works, but the stuff you get at lowes just isn't up to it.  For future reference, backing is the best bet with red oak boards...use hickory...works awesome.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 04:45:39 pm »
Ryan.....I have been stringing all of my Bows forever with the Step Through method.....with never a problem
...but believe me....it ain't the safe Way...or really the right way either....learn the push pull method....I did this weekend when I built a Knight Bow....I had David cringing watching me step on His Bow.....and for future reference....don't Tiller a Bow...then decide to flip the tips....this needs to be done when there is plenty of meat to work with...In case you raise a splinter....jmo
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:49:15 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 06:21:33 pm »
yeah el d i know.  i really think it was a flaw in the wood, it just broke.  gonna have to look up how that pushpull method works.  you guys that are buying hickory at the lumber store, where?  id love to find some to work with it.  all i have found here local, three different lumber stores, is red oak.  i wanna get decent at tillering before i get a good stave and wreck it.

Offline Josh

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 07:03:12 pm »
I get my hickory at a hardwood place about 20 miles from my house... they also carry ipe, ash, black walnut, padouk, osage, yellowheart, purpleheart, white oak, red oak, all kinds of good stuff.  Just do an internet search for hardwood sales in your area and something should pop up.  Good luck!   :)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 07:04:23 pm »
i have never found hick board at any big box store,or medium box store
i get my hick boards from local sawmills.i just call and ask them if the yhave any quarter sawn hick,if they say "yup"
i show up and ask if i can look thru it and they have always said yes
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline aero86

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »
man, i called like 8 places within 45 minutes of me, noone sells hickory