Author Topic: CAMO BOW< a tribute to Keenen with draw pic  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Blacktail

CAMO BOW< a tribute to Keenen with draw pic
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:05:29 pm »
Cammo Yew, a tribute to Keenen.
This is a bow that I made that is a tribute to Keenen Howard. I want to thank him very much for taking the time and giving me tips and techniques about yew wood. I am moving in one week and will miss Keenen a lot. I want to thank him for his time and effort with me, and I am very thankful and blessed for the relationship we have. This bow will not hold a light to what Keenen makes but it is one of the best ones I have done and I am really proud of it. It is 63 inches long, half inch at tips, inch and half at fade outs, and its 50 lbs at 25 inches. The sap wood was really light in color of course so I took a torch and scorched some of the sap wood to darken it a bit, more or less for a camo. It is pretty tight grained yew wood from here in Oregon. I want to thank my wife for doing the lovely work on the handle. Thanks for looking, John.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:56:49 pm by blacktail »

HatchA

Re: CAMO BOW< a tribute to Keenen
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:47:17 pm »
VERY nice!! 

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:03:32 pm »
That is a beauty, and compliments to your wife on the handle.   Good luck with the upcoming move.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Postman

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:27:26 pm »
Nice bow! hope the move goes smooth
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:42:17 am »
thanks so much guys...my wife did a great job on the handle and i am very proud of it..john

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:53:31 am »
Really nice profile that bow. Keenan has mentored you well.
Gordon

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 08:01:03 am »
John, it's about 3:00 AM. and couldn't sleep but this was a very humbling surprise to see. Thank you me friend, I hate that you are moving but definitely understand and Lulyn and I will miss you all. On a good note you won;t be to far away for us to come down for a visit and you know that if you come back up, you all have a place to stay.

That bow is awesome. Great job, the profile and tiller look great on the brace, can't wait to see her at full draw. That is a fine bow John and your bows are getting better with everyone,The profile with shows just how much your skills have improved, so don't cut yourself short, your becoming a fine bowyer! ;) Niki your handles are getting much better as well.

We will sure miss you at the Central Oregon gathering, and it is looking like I won't make it either. Dave is going to head things up and keep the ball rolling. We've been waiting for the insurance approval and it's looking like the 11th for the surgery. Lulyns Dad is doing a little better and finally sleeping some, they got he on some fairly strong stuff.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 11:12:42 am »
That's a fine looking bow, John.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:17:25 am »
Sweet........I have not tried Yew as of Yet...but this makes me want to break out one of my Staves....good luck with the Move.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 11:26:45 am »
That is a really beautiful bow.
Looks great.
Nice Job.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 11:28:09 am »
you guys are the greatest..Keenan,thanks so much for taking time out to show me some stuff..i really have to say that you are one of the few people that i have seen that has a TRUE golden heart...and that your walk is on the straight and narrow..its good to here about sisters dad..and getting some sleep should serve him well...i will pray for your next surgery..i really hope its the last...BLESSINGS bro......EL DESTRUCTO,what are you waiting for..i really want to see what you come up with on the yew..thanks john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 12:39:19 pm »
Nice work John and a great tribute to one of our brothers of the bow and a great gesture on your part. I'm sure Keenan appreciates it also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 02:10:22 pm »
wow nice bow John!  Looks great  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Barrage

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 04:07:36 pm »
Looks really good John.  And a great looking piece of wood too.
Travis

Offline Blacktail

Re: CAMO BOW< a tribute to Keenen with draw pic
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 10:20:06 am »
thanks barrage,josh,pat...i had alot of learning lessions with this stick...the limbs where getting pritty thin and the wood is very strong for being pritty thin..john