Author Topic: Bow making can be detrimental to your mentallity  (Read 13253 times)

Offline Keenan

Bow making can be detrimental to your mentallity
« on: March 27, 2007, 04:45:10 pm »

A post on the freindship bow thread got me to thinking. Pat and justin where talking about memory and I realized mine has got alot worst since I started building bows.
 Pat my wife would say I am the worst as far as short term memory. But I don't think it's as much a memory problem as it is a distraction problem.   
  The day befor we left Texas I lost our digital camera,,,,,,Could not for the life of me remember where I had put it and the way my wife was glaring at me I think I was in serious danger.
  Turned out my Dad found the camera the next day. It was on they bow of his boat.  I now remember getting the camera to take some pics but spotted a nice ERC back in the woods and went to investigate. That ofcoarse led to spotting several other trees witch led to searching for a saw that led to going on a stave run. Finnishing up several hours later around dark.  And then not realizing the camera was even misplaced till the next morning while boarding the plane.
  Amasingly I seem to be able to remember where one particular tree is in the middle of the forest but can't remember where I put the car keys,cell phone,notebook or anything els that is important.
  I often find myself wandering around in a daze looking at trees, or stairing for hours at the pile of staves trying to decide what I want to try next.being self employed makes it even harder. I will go across town to measure up a job and see a new costruction site that is taking out a lot of trees,  Hours later i am trying to remember what I went to town for...LOL    I guess if I've lost a few marbles at least it brings me much pleasure. And with that all said I am convinced that even though I can't seem to find anything these days I'm a whole lot happier when I am working on something bow related     LOL   Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow making can be detrimental to your mentallity
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 04:53:04 pm »
Priorities!!!.....or ADD?...or both!   ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 05:05:12 pm »
           Huh?......... .I forgot to remember................ :P.bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 05:14:37 pm »
Mine is definately ADD.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 05:43:38 pm »
I think priorities is the problem.... but then, my wife always seems to forget the dates of my hunting trips....

She has given up trying to schedule "normal vacations". Now, if she wants to go somewhere, she asks me what I can hunt or fish there and what time of year would be best.....

Next year, pigs on an island in Hawaii. We both win!
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 06:35:38 pm »
Pigs in Hawaii !!!  Hey My wife has been beggin to go back to hawaii !! What an idea ....  LOL   Keenan

duffontap

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 03:58:47 am »
How long have you been building bows Keenan?  I need to know when to pull out!  I don't wan to lose my memor....what are we talking about again?  Hey--a Yew tree!

J. D. Duff

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 06:02:10 am »
I think you guys have come up with something,I went to put my socks on yesterday evening
to go to the cabin and work on Pat's bow.The phone rang and while I was talking I put them over my shoulder where I could use a pencil to write down a message.Well I couldn't find them so I got another pair,when I went to the truck my wife was in the yard working and she said what are you doing with them socks on your shoulder.Man it is getting bad.I had another story  ???But I forgot it. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 12:47:07 pm »
This morning I was a little pressed for time to get to work. I picked up my cell phone (very important in my line of work) and started looking for the little holster it goes in. Couldn't find it! Ran around for 5 minutes searching and re-searching everywhere I coulda laid it. My wife finally asked what i was looking for. When I told her, she pointed to my belt and went back to her business. Gives you an idea how often I do something like that. She didn't laugh, tease or show any other reaction. :D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 01:04:47 pm »
See mine is different.  I get a phone call on my cell while I am going out to work on a bow.  I start thinking about what I am going to do to the bow and realize 5 minutes later that I have no idea what the person has been saying.  ;D  Its got to be ADD. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

mnewcomb59

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 07:14:08 pm »
You should try being on the phone and laying out or tillering a bow at the same time. The person on the other limb will start asking you funny questions when you mumble stuff like "About 3 inches from the left fade is a tad stiff.." haha

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 12:44:55 am »
Those are some good ones. I wonder what the person on the phone would think if you were doing some backings????
 " man if I could just get this skin to strech another inch" or "wow look at the kink in that baby" or how about  "I think I can do something with that hole"  Lol    somehow I don't think working on bows and talking on the phone is a good thing.   Ok time to stop.   Keenan

Dustybaer

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 01:39:33 pm »
my wife just showed me a picture of a chilean pinetree she was thinking about planting in our garden and while she was talking i caught myself searching my memory for hints if that's useable bow wood.  if she only knew   ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 02:02:55 pm »
I hear you Marius.  My wife wanted to plant something around the pool. I planted arrow bamboo.  ;D  I Just planted 5 osage trees, and got 144 osage seeds planted in my greenhouse.  My wife must really love me, because she does know.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 04:14:46 pm »
Justin you are one lucky guy!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill