Author Topic: No Politics Rule?  (Read 6194 times)

Offline Traxx

No Politics Rule?
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:28:55 am »
Being that it is a site Rule,that all members,must adhere to,then why am i seeing a big add at the top of my page,touting Harry Reid?Seems a bit hypocritical,for a web board,with a NO POLITICS RULE.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: No Politics Rule?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 10:41:41 am »
There is nothing hypocritical about it. We don't control the adds at the top, Google does.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:56:41 pm »
So,are you saying,that PA has absolutely no controll,regarding what is advertised on their site?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:29:31 pm »
Google adds are all over the internet. Google makes deals with website owners and with advertisers and acts as the go between. The adds are determined by what is on the site and change every time you change pages. If someone has typed bows google looks for adds about bows. That is why we see craft store adds selling ribbon bows. The topics are often outdoors on PA so you will see a lot of truck adds because that is one of the key words that the auto dealers have specied.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:48 pm »
Regardless of the reasons for it,Do you not see this,as a double standard towards the rules of the Message board,that all other members are expected to adhere to?
Google makes deals with website owners and with advertisers and acts as the go between.
Now i will admit,that im not up on how buisness is conducted,over the internet,but if this is done as a buisness agreement,i see that as a sellout,to the integrity of the site and the rules laid down by the powers that be,for all others to follow.Lets take for example,the signature at the bottom of your posts.I see that as a violation as well.While i may agree with what it says,its still a violation of the rules,and therefore a double standard,especially when it is being commited by a mod,whos job it is to monitor and mediate such violations of such rules.By any definition of the word that i know,thats Hypocracy,so yeah,i think ill go with that definition still.LOL.
No slight towards you personally,but rules are rules.Is there no way the Powers that be,can be a bit more selective,or have a say in what pops up on the screen of their website?Personally,i come on here to escape political topics.I deal with them,in too many other aspects of my life,nowdays.Also,Being a Nevadan,the last thing i want to see or hear in my leisure time,is anything about Harry Reid,trust me.I can fully understand why the rules were adapted as they are.Political and religious topics,allways insite dissagreement and unhealthy debate,creating havoc for all concerned.The recent examples shown,could lead to that same atmosphere.
But Hey,who am i to say.You guys do what you think is right.
Todd

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:21:33 pm »
THanks Todd for your opinion and i am happy to say we are doing what is right.  What is so great about this site is that it is free for those to use or choose not to use if they aren't happy with how it is run. 
Justin explained it very well.  We have awesome moderators that keep our boards held to great standards. 
Marie
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:01:00 am »
K Marie,
Whatever you say.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:26:49 am »
Traxx it may appear to be a bit hypocritical, however it is a necessary evil.  Those ads (there's only one "d" there, people) are randomly generated and the site actually has no control over what's displayed.  The ads displayed will be chosen according to content that is currently being viewed, or has recently been viewed, on your computer.  Me, for example, I'm currently researching flash programs; thus I currently have an ad for a site that generates flash media.

There is a "no politics" rule here but it must be excepted for the randomly generated ads.  It's also common that I see ads for Bear Archery...but compounds/non-traditional bows are taboo here.

The biggest thing is that, regardless of whether you feel it is fair or not, the ads pay for the site.  I'm not willing to pay for the site...as it is, I'm a ruin enough financially that I have only had peanut butter and bread for eight days...some day, I will subscribe...in the mean time, I'm not paying for the site.  The average user isn't paying for the site.  Therefor, I, nor we, get to make the rules...or exceptions.

On the plus side, I'm sure that if you were to pony up the cost of running PA.com, they would let you discuss whatever you want.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 01:20:50 am »
Lets take for example,the signature at the bottom of your posts.I see that as a violation as well.While i may agree with what it says,its still a violation of the rules,and therefore a double standard,especially when it is being commited by a mod,whos job it is to monitor and mediate such violations of such rules.By any definition of the word that i know,thats Hypocracy,so yeah,i think ill go with that definition still.LOL.
Todd
Todd do you just want to complain today or what. Mentioning government doesn't make it political any more than mentioning drugs makes it medicinal. If you can see the difference between medicinal codeine and cocaine you should be able to see the difference between the other. But that isn't near as satisfying as trying to argue is it.

SW Utah

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 01:47:08 am »

whatever Justin.People can justify anything,if they want to i guess.If you cant,or wont see the connection between the 2,then i guess we'll hafta just agree to dissagree,on that,and be done with it.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 02:15:37 am »
Ya whatever......

SW Utah

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 03:47:34 am »
I hate seeing that ad, but glad of the rule.  I can't ignore it, but I do my best.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 10:59:36 pm »
 I don't pay attention to any of it flashing up top.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 10:43:59 am »
Never noticed it,and I am on here a lot,guess I just ant paying attention.  :) :) Never go to the top I am down around the bottom ,I guess.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 11:43:20 am »
I don't pay attention to any of it flashing up top.

You mean that there are ads up top that are flashing and scrolling.... that are not Board Friendly......dat ain't right.....sure glad I only look at the POSTS......... O:)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome