Author Topic: what to make  (Read 2171 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
what to make
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:47:36 pm »
ok i am almost done with my first bow build and my cousin askd me where to get a bow for some target shooting and i told him i would make him one he wants a long bow 25lbs at 26 inchs so i figure that would be easy to make compared to my 60lbs at 28inchs that i am making  what wood do yall think would be good for a lighter bow  its just for target shooting i was thinking of a board bow backd with something would be good for what he needs i am oot a pro bow builder but i figured this lighter bow would make great pratice for the bigger bow i am making ttyl           sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Re: what to make
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:19:05 pm »
Go to lowes and get a relatively straight-grain red oak 1X2, and shave half an inch off the width.  Back it with fiberglass drywall tape or denim...don't waste time on something more complicated...with a slightly reflex.  Cut the tips down to the desired length and taper them for your nocks.  After your backing has cured, set it in the tree and start tillering.  Keep the belly flat and use a hand plane to tiller.  Don't take off the sides until you start getting under 1/2" thick in the limbs.

After you get a good tiller, put it back into reflex and temper the limbs.  Then add a simple riser, sand, oil, give.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 03:23:26 pm »
That's not a lot of bow. I just made some kids bows for the club, trust me I'd rather make a 40plus pound bow any day.
Down at 20# there's not much wood to play with, and the out of balance forces due to assymetry, hecd position etc become more significant.
Put it another way, on a 60# plus longbow it doesn't make much difference if your hand position is a tad out.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 03:32:49 pm »
That's not a lot of bow. I just made some kids bows for the club, trust me I'd rather make a 40plus pound bow any day.
Down at 20# there's not much wood to play with, and the out of balance forces due to assymetry, hecd position etc become more significant.
Put it another way, on a 60# plus longbow it doesn't make much difference if your hand position is a tad out.
Del

Words to heed.  It took quite some time...and a LOT of failures...before I was able to whip up a good 25lb bow.  My first attempt to make a 70lb longbow...success (kind of).  This is why I advocate simplicity.  Make it as simply and cheaply as possible because making these little bows can actually overreach the unexpected's skills and consume for more time than intended.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:52:48 pm »
Check our Half Eye's recent post (last week, I think) where he's listed the specifications for a whole bunch of youth bows, including a Møllegabet design!

1/4"  or 1/2" x 2" (1.5" actual) Lowe's Oak might be a better place to start than 1 (3/4" actual) x 2 as you'll have less wood to remove.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:36:21 pm »
Ifin ya could get your hands on some Ratan, that would be the ticket. No backin needed fer that.
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat