Author Topic: Second First Bow  (Read 6694 times)

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
Second First Bow
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:31:50 pm »
Well guys, there’s a first time for everything, and here’s my first posting of my first completed bow, second bow ever.  Awhile back Half Eye gifted me with the Viking Pony Bow.  Thank's Half Eye - you're a pal!!  And that spurred me to wanting to make my own Møllegabet.

So I got a beautiful nearly perfectly quartersawn 1.5 x 3 x 60" Black Locust plank off Ebay.  I cut out a 1-3/4” wide 56” TtT Mølle and started tillering.  Just before I reached my ideal draw length, the bow suffered “catastrophic failure”.  R.I.P.

Half Eye said I should try again with the leftovers.   There wasn’t enough for the usual wide working limbs, but here’s what I ended up with:

Maple-backed Black Locust
60" TtT
58" NtN
40# @ 27/28"
Weight 13oz
Handle 1" wide x 1-3/8" deep
Working limbs 1-1/8 wide x 14-1/2" long
Levers  3/8" wide x 1-3/8" deep at the lashing, tapering to 7/16" wide and 3/4" deep at the tips x 11" long

Since the board was so narrow there is no shoulder in the width at the handle fade, just a shallow taper from 1-1/8" to 1" that it is almost unnoticeable.

[attachment deleted by admin]
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
Re: Second First Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 09:34:32 pm »
Full Draw

You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:40:48 pm »
Handle Detail

You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:41:31 pm »
Lever Detail

You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:47:31 pm »
Cool bow  8) very unusual looking.  great job :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

half eye

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 09:57:08 pm »
well Ken ya sly dog ;D That turned out very nice....the tiller on that puppy is perfect. Ya didn't say about speed but it looks fast. My original bows should look as good as yer left-overs.
Rich

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 10:05:39 pm »
very nice looking bow
ya think we could get a full draw from more off to ths eside instead of so far from behind?
just curious,looks like the tiller could be killer
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:31:04 pm »
nice looking bow great job
bryan irwin

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 11:47:01 am »
Howdy Ken,

Ya made it look easy.  That's really impressive.

(And, thanks for including all those dimentions for those of us who are working up the nerve to try one.)

Also, thank you Half Eye for pushing this forum into some uncharted waters by introducing your Native and Viking bows.

All the Best,
Canoe 
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 12:01:33 pm »
That's  a  beauty!!!!!!!!!!  I  love  it!!  could  you  give  us  a  run down  on  tillering  that??  I  may  give  this  a  try  Thanks  SO  much  keep this  stuff  comming!  JEFFW

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »
Sweeeet!!,
 Tiller is great and full draw is beautiful, good job.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 01:03:16 pm »
You've got to be very proud of this one. Congrats! Bookmarked, too, for next week's Laminate Bow of the Month fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 01:08:03 pm »
Looks good from where I'm sitting :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 01:21:32 pm »
Pleaseeee make me one. I love it!  kinda take off from a holmey,hey. Nice job its a keeper. Denny

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 07:00:52 pm »
Thanx everybody for your kind words.

Thanx Old Bow, I really appreciate that!  Yep, I'm proud.  I'll probably bust the next half dozen, but it's all part of the game, eh!

Denny - Hølmegård and Møllegabet are two completely different designs found in unrelated archaeological excavations in Denmark. We've had a number of discussions about the several thousand years and differences between the two.  Major difference is the Møllegabet has distinct shoulders between the working limbs and the static lever tips; the Hølmegård does not...  The Møllegabet (mull-gabbit) is about 7000 years old - yep 5000 years B.C.!!  The Hølmegård is older than that by a couple thousand years...

Canoe - just jump in and DO IT!  I did, you can too.  Think of a Møllegabet as the Ultimate Board Bow.  Half Eye was saying you can add depth the the handle and levers by gluing on extra wood.  So you really can draw it out as a board bow, and then add more handle (non bending) and depth to the levers (also non-bending).  I'm think walnut levers on an Oak or Ash body would look really sharp!

The "floor tillering" technique I used was to cut out the basic shape according to Half Eye's Build-Along.  Then, I had found an article by Richard Baugh called A Foolproof Method For Tillering A Bow, at www.primitiveways.com , that talked about using a weight and measuring the amount each limb bends, or deflects from horizontal to determine draw weight and equality of tiller between the two limbs.

By using a table of numbers from the article, and measuring deflection as I started removing wood, I was able to keep the amount of bend very close between the two limbs, and also know how close I was getting to my target draw-length and -weight.  For this stage I was using a palm sander with 40 grit sanding belt and rubber sanding blocks also with 40 grit paper to remove wood.  Twenty strokes here, twenty strokes there, hang the weight and measure the deflection.  Repeat and repeat...

Then I switched to a traditional tillering tree, put on a long string, and started with digital photos and comparison to graphic ovals.  I also switched to 100 grit sandpaper on the palm sander and sanding blocks.  After a few passes I was long string at 27", so I made a shooting string that gave me a 6" fistmele.   

At this point I put aside the electric sander and just used my rubber sanding blocks - one flat side and one curved side.  Sand and check, sand and check.  Praying a little each time I lengthened the draw by an inch or two. Recharge the camera battery for 4 hours.  Sand and check, and and check.  Finally I was drawing back to 28 inches and maybe a hair more - my margin of error.  One final weight and measure, and I was right on the money according to the table.  Altogether I took a photo and checked the ovals at least once for every two inches of draw until I got to 24", then every inch until I was in the zone.

If I were going to change anything, I would make the levers even narrrower, and tapered into a long trapezoid or triangular shape from the back towards the belly edge.  It's shoots pretty darn fast as-is but I'll bet I could tweak it even further.  Another day...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:22:07 pm by KenH »
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,