Author Topic: another pig hunt,with pics  (Read 6449 times)

Offline PeteC

another pig hunt,with pics
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:29:55 pm »
My wife and I went this morning down to Anderson county to a public WMA to hunt for pigs.It was suppose to get down into the 40's ,but because of cloud cover,did'nt make it.But,it felt good when I walked out at 5:00 AM,so we made the 70 mile drive.We had gone about 1/2 miles from the truck when we spotted some pigs about 150 yards off.The wind was quartering,and with a bog on one side made it tough to get in.They busted us while we were about 40 yards from them.I kept going and had one 125# boar come out of the marsh grass at 25 yards.I was nearly anchored when he bolted.They were long gone at this point,so went back out and resumed spotting.We covered a couple of more miles and were circling back toward the truck when we spotted another bunch at 100 yards.We had gotten within 35 yards of 2 nice pigs,when a big ole sow called her pigs and they came running our direction.Pretty soon they were all diggin' their way toward us,so we just stayed down on a knee in the bracken fern.8 little ten pounders came right on top of us,within 8 feet,then 3 larger pigs came behind them.The pigs we wanted were still behind cover,and we were about to get busted.One of the larger pigs came past at 15 yards,just as the little ones busted us.They were leavin' in a hurry,so I swung up and shot the larger pig.My wife only had the little ones around her and did'nt take a shot.Immediately after my shot,the big sow charged in toward us.The arrow I carry in my bow hand was already on the string,but the sow wheeled and offered no shot.Mine went 35 yards and crashed.(It might make 2 meals for my wife and I. ;D)Here's a few pics of our day.Oh ,Osage and switchcane,bandsaw trade. God Bless

The pics are; 1.My wife ready to go 2.Canada goose on beaver pond 3.Red Admiral 4.Sand Verbena 5 and 6. Pig

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:37:59 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline lowell

Re: another pig hunt,with pics
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:27:29 pm »
I know nothing about pigs but .....it sure sounds like a good time !!! 

Thanks for story and pictures!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:39:58 pm »
 Sounds like pig hunting to me. And congratulations on a fine, little, porker.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:19:35 am »
Nice job,sounds like a good time. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:27:49 am »
Congrats. Looks like a blast.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:56:22 am »
Congrates.. Good eating size you got there.. ;)

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:14:30 am »
I'm really hoping to get on some pigs this year.  That looks like a great time.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:22:45 am »
thats AWSOME! one of these days ima kill something edible lol.  :P

awsome shot!
lets just shoot it

Cacatch

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:32:37 pm »
Here's a question from Indiana where I never have seen and probably never will see a wild pig - but have seen and butchered many a farm-raised fat hog.  How do you's guys that have both the blessing and the curse of the wild pig go about butchering them, especially one that size? Do ya's skin em like a deer or do ya's scald em and scrape the hair off so the rhind is left on the meat?

Congrats on a fine kill and superb eatin.

CP

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 02:19:52 pm »
Very cool pictures Pete.  So were you on a bicycle, also?  An interesting idea for scouting around, wish I could but the sugar sand makes that mighty tough as far south in florida as I am.  Congratulations on the kill.  I bet it will taste great!
1’—>1’

Cacatch

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 02:31:12 pm »
Also, what kind of point did ya use on that pig? The arrow looks like it just has a field point on it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 04:07:01 pm »
 CaCatch, I just skin a hog. Cut the front shoulders, back-strap, and two hams. I also make a hole just big enough to get my hand inside and cut the two Tenderloins out without gutting them. Parnel, we use bikes up here. My mountain bike has gun racks on the handle bar.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Cacatch

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 04:43:45 pm »
Mullet, is that cause the skin ain't very good eatin' or just your personal preference on how to do it?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:12:45 pm »
Cacatch,with a little squealer like this,I field dress and skin like a deer,then cut up like a rabbit,Since it's about the same size. ;),but on the bigger pigs I cut them up exactly as Mullet described.,(just as I butcher my deer).The point I used was a band saw blade trade point. 1- 1/4" wide,2-1/2" long,and razor sharp and hafted to a switchcane shaft.The arrow was about 600 grains in weight. It's funny,I always try for heart shots,but this little fella's heart was about the size of a pawpaw,and the broadhead  had rotated to a position parallel to the ground.The shaft was laying right on the heart,but the point did'nt touch the heart.If it had rotated another 90 degrees,it would have cut it.It was a clean double lung shot and the pig only went about 35 yards.
Parnell,yes,Where we're able to do so,we use the bikes.You can cover a lot of ground very quietly ,then,use it to get the game back to the truck. I built and  welded a small tubular rack on the back of mine which works great,and ,after hanging up and twisting off the gear shifting mechanism one time too many,I shortened the chain where I have only one gear,very low.I took off the front brake to cut down on packin' it off with mud,so now,I've pretty well got a trouble free"pig mobile" ;D. God Bless
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:38:55 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 10:18:03 am »
thats just cool.  ;D
lets just shoot it