Author Topic: Thank you to SailorDad  (Read 4168 times)

Offline stickthrower

Thank you to SailorDad
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:02:55 pm »
I just wanted to write a note on here as Thank you to SailorDad.

You took time out of your day to help me out on my first bow, which I have violated the back on pretty badly. 

You were nice enough to help me start a new bow, and I am extremely grateful to you for doing so.

I can't wait to get back over and work on the new bow some more.  The time flew by working on that bow, and I learned alot today.

Thanks again SailorDad!  I will give you a call later this week about when we can get together again!

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline barebo

Re: Thank you to SailorDad
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 06:46:29 am »
Sharing knowledge and keeping the spirit of Traditional archery alive and well thanks to Sailordad !!! THAT'S what it's all about !!!
I'll bet you really took home some stuff to chew on Stickthrower - glad to see that you're going to keep shavin' wood !!!Good Luck!!

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:34:20 am »
The giving and sharing of knowledge in this community is awe inspiring. Good on ya Sailordad for sharing, and good on ya Stickthrower for joining the ranks. I am looking forward of photos of your completed project.

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:09:55 am »
That is so cool, I love hearing stories like this. when do we get to see some pics of the new bow in progress?

And if any of you find yourselves in Eagan, stop by the eagan station starbucks, on 35e and pilot knob road, and I'll buy you a cup of joe. =)
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

HatchA

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:33:53 am »
Nathan, I understand exactly where you're coming from!!

I spent a few hours Wednesday night and again last night, chasing a ring on my first Osage bow with someone who's been involved in archery for over 50 years.  Such a wealth of knowledge and information - it's extremely humbling and inspiring at the same time, to have someone give their time and wisdom to you. 

Another generation learning so we can carry on the work of our ancestors...  Feels good :)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 08:23:49 pm »
well Nathan stopped by and worked some more on his bow
hes got it bending pretty nice for floor tiller so far
he also got the back sized with glue
i will glue on the cloth backing tomorrow for him so its ready for more work next weekend
we need to keeep this thing rollong for now as i will be hunting in three weeks
its getting my usual backing of camo cloth
looks really nice on a back of a bow

so heres a pi c of him working away today
thanks for looking

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 08:42:44 pm »
Oakraider, I am going to be down in Maple Grove Thursday/Friday for a conference.   Also planning on a trip down near the MOA to a woodworking store to pick up a couple things.

SailorDad posted a picture of the bow that we have been making together.  I will post a few more that I took today when I get the camera in.

SailorDad has a TON of knowledge that he has been very gracious in sharing with me.  It is a tremendous help for a newbie to find someone to help them out.

As SailorDad said, we are hoping to get most of the bow done this coming weekend so that he has plenty of time to get out for hunting. 

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:00:52 pm »
Here are the two pictures I got today of the bow. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 02:21:11 am »
Now that's coming along really nice.

I can't wait to see more.

Where ya gonna be hunting, sailordad?
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 02:24:08 am »
i have permission o hunt on 2 differant pieces of private land just outside of cloudy town (st cloud)
one i have been hunting for about 9 yrs,the other will be a first,going to scout that one this week

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:10:04 am »
You are not kiddin bout Sailordad
Not just full of knowledge, but lets you know when you should take a joke or two or three (Timo, Pappy, Jawge, ET AL...LOL)...
I would give just about anything to live close to someone that could give you the hands-on teaching that a price can't be put on...

Sailordad is like that brother, dad, and uncle you always wanted.  Nothing taken ANYTHING away of all of the other experience on PA, but, he can put you into perspective and make you laugh at yourself.

Aw Heck, y'all are all really like that.

Thanks for everyone

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 11:30:37 pm »
well hers the latest edition in Nathans quest on making a bow  ;)
hes actually making this 99.5% by himself,i have very little hands on interaction with this stick
well we will call it a bow since we did get it on a short string today,bends nicely too
Nathan is a good guy,takes direction quite well and is working his back side off on this bow.
i had the backing glued on and ready for him as promised.
i showed him how to trim off the excess and and then clean it up with a rasp.
then he worked on he tillering,all i did is help look at it after he scraped and scraped and scraped and took a breath and scraped some more  ;D
he also trimmed the handle down some,loolks good so far

he is quite proud right now,as he should be this thing is coming along nicely.
he took it home with him so he could do some clean up work on the side and such before we tiller any further
and to show his wife,i think she'll be happy for him.
any hoo hers a pic i took,its pulling about 16" right here.havent put it on a scale yet.we'll do that next time
we decided today which limb is which,lower to the left.
so now we will tweak the tiller on the upper limbs to get it bending just a tad better for where it will be pulled from
let us know what ya'll think

thanks for looking                                                peace,
                                                                               tim

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 11:19:08 pm »
I just have to say that this has been an amazing time for me to be working with SailorDad. 

I have been having so much fun working on this bow, that part of me is going to be sad when we finish the bow.  It has been great to get out and hang out with someone that has the same likes. 

I may be doing the work according to Sailordad, but there are DEFINITELY a good number of questions being tossed over to him.

Tim has been very generous of his time and expertise. 

I can't wait to post pics of the finished bow. 

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 01:12:54 am »
awww shucks  ;D

geez ya make it sound like i know what i am doing lol

when we get that all tillered out here next week end,and you get a finish put on it
we will have to get together and go shoot around of 3d at the SCAA range
after i am done chasing ground buzzards that is  ;)

you can always come over and we can work on other bows and such stuff too
i beleive you said you wanted one for the wife too

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 04:04:10 pm »
coming to maple grove huh? too bad i am headed out of town thursday night or i'd ask you to stop by, i like meeting fellow bow builders too.

Hey Tim, have you made any bows from the osage and ironwood staves i gave you a couple years ago?
45# at 27"