Author Topic: Coming Home  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Coming Home
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:23:37 am »
Hey Everybody,

I'll be home in a couple weeks from the "Cradle of Civilization"  ;D  I just moved back to upstate NY right before I deployed, and I wasn't building bows when I lived here before.  I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good source of staves near to Watertown, NY.  I remember when I first started out in AK, I ordered sinew and B50 from a NY outfit that advertised in PA, but I haven't seen their ad for a long time.  They offered split Hickory staves and other supplies.  If anyone knows of a good supplier, could you please email me the info?  I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

Jude
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Dane

Re: Coming Home
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:17:23 pm »
Jude, I can’t really help you regarding suppliers in that part of NY, but do want to say congratulations on the end of your deployment. Welcome back to the Land of the Round Door Knobs, Big PX, etc. Hopefully, your next adventures will be in the shop and on the range and out hunting.

Have you checked with Ft. Drum’s recreation and leisure folks? Every Army post I was stationed at in the US had one, and usually they have a wood shop, and could clue you on hardwood dealers around there if you want to build board bows. Three Rivers of course carries B50 and other supplies, but you know that.

Once you get settled in, I do have some seasoned HHB staves with some character harvested in Western Massachusetts that might do the trick if you want to dive right in, and would be happy to send a couple of nice ones to you as a welcome home gift of sorts. I’d just need your mailing address. You’re an officer, aren’t you? I won’t hold that against you, though :)

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:34:43 pm »
I don't know. I did want to welcome you home and thank you for your service. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mox1968

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 03:30:51 pm »
good to see you getting back best of luck

HatchA

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 04:53:31 pm »
good to see you getting back best of luck

Agreed!

Offline randallrock

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 05:26:49 pm »
not sure if this helps, but I like the service of these guys http://www.3riversarchery.com/Index.asp
 BTW thank you so much for your service to the country.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 05:44:00 pm »
Cant help you there, but would like to welcome you back home and thanks for your service.

Grunt

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:28:43 pm »
Glad to have you back in one piece.
Semper Fi,

Offline John K

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 01:52:28 pm »
Welcome back Jude ! If you can't find any staves, give me a shout. I could send you something.  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 12:53:16 am »
I'm glad to hear your coming back, and in one piece to boot.

Thanks for serving; in my opinion there's not much that's more impressive than putting on boots and putting yourself in harms way. 
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 06:51:45 am »
Glad to hear you are ocming home.  And thank you for your service to our country.  Not sure of anybody selling staves in upstate NY, but I've gotton some good deals on Ebay in the past.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 08:49:29 am »

Thanks guys, for all the kind words.  I'm really looking forward to getting home.  This will be my oldest son's first year hunting, so I have to get him into a new, hunting weight, bow first thing, so he has time to practice this summer.  He's been reading my PAs since he was six or seven, and he's really looking forward to building his own.

Dane and John K, thanks for the offers.  I'll see what I can locate when I come back, and if I can get to my brother's farm in Vermont, I should be able to score some HHB, but if not, I might take you up on the offer.  Yes I am an Officer, but I'm a Warrant Officer, and I spent 11 years enlisted, so I hope you don't think too badly of me for going over to the Dark Side.  Nowadays, I get to function as a "Technical Resource" for my Armament shop, meaning I no longer have the direct supervisory duties I had in the past.  Life is Good ;)

Thanks again, and I hope to be able to meet some of you in person in the near future.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit