Author Topic: Bow or Firewood  (Read 5042 times)

Rigo

Bow or Firewood
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:12:50 pm »
I'm in central texas and looking cutting down this tree. i think it is hackberry and wondering if it would be any good for a bow?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline John K

Re: Bow or Firewood
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:14:36 pm »
I would try and get a bow out of it. If it doesn't work you can always burn it  :D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:22:14 pm »
Idk what hackberry looks like but if thats it you should be able to make a bow out of it.
GBR!

Rigo

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:32:58 pm »
HACKBERRY (Celtis occidentalis)

Hackberry is closely related to sugarberry and is a member of the elm family.  There is little difference between sapwood and heartwood which is yellowish gray to light brown with yellow streaks. The wood is very susceptible to blue staining before and after kiln drying and has irregular grain, occasionally straight and sometimes interlocked, with a fine uniform texture.  The wood planes and turns well and is intermediate in its ability to hold nails and screws, and stains satisfactorily.  Hackberry dries readily with minimal degrade.  It has a fairly high shrinkage and is most suitable in cut stock or small pieces. It is moderately hard, heavy and has bending strength, high shock resistance but is low in stiffness.

some info i found about hackberry tree

Cacatch

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:33:21 pm »
I'm pretty sure that's not hackberry, at least not like any hackberry I've ever seen in Indiana. Now, what it IS, I'm not sure. I'm thinking maybe a type of Ash or possibly an Elm?

Hillbilly?

Rigo

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:38:47 pm »
Thanks for the info... i think i will give it a try and if it does not work out then i will use it for firewood.

Cacatch

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:43:00 pm »
Yeah, go ahead and cut it. I'd say the chances are good that even though it's not hackberry, it would be suitable for bowmaking. As soon as hillbilly takes a look at it he'll probably be able to tell you for sure what it is. When you get it cut down, it will also help in the ID if you show what the heartwood and grain look like.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:44:06 pm »
That's not a hackberry, it's an elm. Most elms are good bow wood. If you can get a straight piece out of it without a bunch of knots and twists, it'll probably make a good bow. The bark looks like it's got some spiraling going on, which probably means twisted grain in the wood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Rigo

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 04:45:20 pm »
when i cut it down and split the wood i will post pics...prob in next day or so

Rigo

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 06:02:57 pm »
Elm Cut Down

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 06:07:05 pm »
whats the diameter?here even 2" wide elm trees have a decent amount of heartwood(american)
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Rigo

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »
It's 3" diameter

Rigo

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 06:38:53 pm »
bark removed and split

Cacatch

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 09:59:16 am »
Yeah, I think Hillbilly is right, it does appear to be an elm. But there are so many subspecies of Elm that it's hard to say which one it would be. All the elms I've seen (Indiana) have at least some heartwood, but down in Texas, maybe you have species of Elm that don't.

How hard is it? If you press your thumbnail into the wood, does it make a very visible mark?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »
There are five species of elm listed as growing in Texas. Slippery, American, winged, cedar, and Siberian. Just looking at that, I would say that it's a young slippery or American elm. Are the leaves rough and sandpapery-feeling?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.