Author Topic: Reflexing boiling water  (Read 4125 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Reflexing boiling water
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:00:41 pm »
Last weekend I reflexed 3 bows. One was reflex deflex and the other two just recurves. The bows were floor tillered the thickest one was about 1/2 in while the other two about 5/16. The problem was they lifted some splinters, i believe it was because they were only in the water for about 30 minutes. How long should I leave them next time? By the way i will sinew these bows.

Thankyou
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

half eye

Re: Reflexing boiling water
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:06:38 pm »
Along time ago, when my Dad was still living we used to make cedar-strip canoes. Dad bent that wood by boiling and would leave them in at least an hour....the last ones out were there for longer. These strips were only about 1/4" thick. I know it aint bow making and the wood is different also but it might give you some idea as to your wood.

hope it helps some.
Rich

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:41:14 pm »
once the water is actually boiling i like to leave it in for 1-2 hours.the more the better JMO
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:44:53 pm »
I just recurved a hickory bow that was 5/8" thick. Boiled it for 45min. It was a stave and the belly was chased to one ring so that prevented the splinters from lifting too much, but where the next ring started they lifted slightly. I think it depends a lot on the grain. If its not boiled long enough it would probably just crack. I don't think all splinters are preventable but I may be wrong.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:04:55 pm »
try and make sure that the area being bent is chased to one ring,use a thin metal strap
on the be;lly side to help aid in the bending and these should help reduce splinters from lifting
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 01:36:27 am »
I have bent both Hickory and Oak without any problems. 1/2 " thick put in water then brought to boil for 30 minutes or so. Clamped to form immediately after taking out of water no bands and no attention to rings, no longer than 10 seconds or so for the whole process, for me faster to clamp the better. There are more experienced people yet to reply but so far this has worked well for me.
Good luck,
N2
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 09:54:02 am »
I hate boiling! If you raised splinters, you probably didn't wait long enough and it wasn't hot enough, at least that is the problem I have had. I find steam much faster and better. It takes about half the time in steam and you don't waterlog your wood. Yes, you will get some moisture, but not like soaking twice as long.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 09:53:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies, i appreciated :) helped much
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline jwarwick

• Paying Advertiser to PA... StavePress
    • StavePress
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:42:18 pm »
steam is hotter than boiling water... it works better.
Buy a good piece of land and put your heart into it.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:59:17 pm »
....i like boiling.......for a long time....  only with black cherry and maple though.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 05:03:27 am »
I use steam, from an old wallpaper steamer (they are pretty cheap) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001P16YS/ref=asc_df_B0001P16YS630783?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=7974&creativeASIN=B0001P16YS
The hose is v handy and can push ito a hole in a steam box...(I made a quick box from insulation panel offcuts (aluminium covered polyeuratane board)
Steam is good and hot and gets the heat into the wood nice and quick I generally give it half an hour.
(As it condenses on the cold wood initially it dumps the latent heat of vapourisation into the wood which gives it a good start, that's why steam will scald you worse than boiling water)
Del
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:07:20 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline jwarwick

• Paying Advertiser to PA... StavePress
    • StavePress
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 11:12:50 am »
I stay away from the boiling because water is ingested into the wood. This obviously raises the moisture content in the wood and can ruin that good moisture content level you have patiently waited for as your green staves dried for a year or so in your storage room.

The injection of water into the wood can make the wood act green again, resulting in string follow and lame performance... also, your raised splinters after boiling can be from water-swolen wood fibers that raise up when they expand.

For these reasons, I personally think that dry heat is the best method of bending wood... a-la Jim Hamm's method.
Summary: coat wood in thin layer of crisco to prevent burning, they waft the bow part you're going to bend over the hamburger grill until its hot enough to release and bend. When done, wipe the grease off. This way the wood has retained its original moisture content and will work as intended.

Good luck, Jon
Buy a good piece of land and put your heart into it.