Author Topic: How's My Form?  (Read 6224 times)

Offline dmassphoto

How's My Form?
« on: April 10, 2010, 07:25:52 pm »
Hey all.  Well, being brand new to traditional archery, I finally got my first R/D longbow the other day and just wanted you guys to check my form to see if I could improve it at all.  It's only one photo, maybe I should get one from the top?  I've seen people pull their back elbow up above their ears, and I've seen some images of warbow shooters with their elbow down.  I try to keep mine in line, but I'm shooting groups anywhere from 3-8in apart from 12 paces, which seems pretty random.  Any way to improve my technique?  Any help would be great.  I'm looking forward to attending the TN Classic soon as well, and hopefully somebody will take the time to teach me how to shoot beyond 15yrds, lol.

Oh, also...I try to keep a loose grip with my bow arm, but when I put my fingers out like I'm pointing to the target, the arrows seem to go high.  Is that normal?  Should I keep my grip as shown in the pic?  Tighter or looser?

Offline Dave 55

Re: How's My Form?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 07:35:51 pm »
They might go high because your really heeling the bow with your grip.The way we stand and hold a bow for a picture isnt always the way we shoot one.
Now is the good old days

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 07:41:18 pm »
Your form looks pretty good but your elbow is just a little high. Ideally you want a straight line from the arrow's point to the tip of your elbow with the bow arm and drawing arm inline with that.  Also stand with your feet perpendicular to the target and at shoulder width and your shoulders lined up with the line of sight.
  On a longbow I like a good solid grip but not squeezing too tight. I like my bow hand right under the arrow, as close to the shelf as is comfortable. I don't like sticking my bow hand fingers out because when a broadhead is used it could get dicey! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 07:57:29 pm »
No,no,no ya need to stand on one foot, bend at the waist 180 degrees, then rotate at the waist 90 degrees close both eyes and let er fly ;D

Actually yer form looks better than mine ever will :'(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »
lol thanks guys fo the input :)  I'm gonna try the suggestions out and see what I can do, although I'm not sure I can stand on one foot just yet :) 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:44:59 pm »
Practice grasshopper practice ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 05:00:46 am »
Looks good to me.
Allignment:-I notice you seem to be standing slightly open, eg A line across you toes would be pointing left of target, which is fine as long as it isn't pulling you left.
I find a good test is to stand comfortably, eyes shut and relaxed, then raise the bow in a relaxed cofortable manner, then open your eyes and see where it's pointing, hopefully it's at the target still...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 09:26:29 am »
looks very good. i actualy think your elbow is proper. you have larger forearms that make it look a little high. i hear the same thing about my form too. because my forearms are larger than normal somebody actually thought i was dislocating my elbow in one picture.  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 01:15:53 pm »
looks very good. i actualy think your elbow is proper. you have larger forearms that make it look a little high. i hear the same thing about my form too. because my forearms are larger than normal somebody actually thought i was dislocating my elbow in one picture.  ;D

I'm with Jamie, your form looks good. Only thing is, as Dave said is that you're really gripping your bow. Even bows with handshock can be held in the hand with just your index finger and thumb. Right now you're putting alot of heel into the bow, making the limbs react slightly differently than normal. Being relaxed during the shot helps to clean up flyers.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 05:08:52 pm »
I think your form looks good as well.With your elbow in line with your arrow,you should be getting a very good release. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 07:15:50 pm »

I'm with Jamie, your form looks good. Only thing is, as Dave said is that you're really gripping your bow. Even bows with handshock can be held in the hand with just your index finger and thumb. Right now you're putting alot of heel into the bow, making the limbs react slightly differently than normal. Being relaxed during the shot helps to clean up flyers.

When you say I'm putting a lot of heel into it, you mean the lower palm of my hand, right?  Here's a short video I made of a few shots.  The last half has commentary on where the arrows landed.  I was 12 paces from the target, aiming at a 3x3" square.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXauVvKfQMk
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:58:30 pm by dmassphoto »

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 02:12:59 pm »
That's it exactly. I haven't watched the video yet (my computer hates loading videos, especially with other stuff running) but will as soon as I can :).

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 10:38:19 pm »
  I noticed the "heel" also. Look at your wrist compared to the alignment of your arm. Instead of being straight, it does a 90dg turn at the bow handle. It also looks like your elbow might be locked in place. Your  Index finger on your left hand should be pointing, "in line", at what you are shooting at.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Postman

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 12:54:11 pm »
I am no expert, but think a rock-solid follow through is the most important aspect of any form. I really don't think about what's pointed where with my arms, and crouch, stand, sit, and cant the bow at varying degrees to replicate varied shot opportunities.  But when I "freeze" good at release, I seem to do well regardless.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 06:00:41 pm »
I am no expert, but think a rock-solid follow through is the most important aspect of any form. I really don't think about what's pointed where with my arms, and crouch, stand, sit, and cant the bow at varying degrees to replicate varied shot opportunities.  But when I "freeze" good at release, I seem to do well regardless.

That's the secret to out of postion shooting. The only real thing about "proper form" is that it makes it easier to "freeze" nice and solid- and consistently- day in and day out.