Author Topic: Well I might just finish one after all!!! Updated pictures at bottom!NEW  (Read 4972 times)

VenomBOWslinger

Good day ladies and gents.  As some of you might know I am a busy bee with working too many jobs and hours I build bows just to have them sit around and unfinished!  Well today my son got sick in school so I had to bring him home.  Instead of getting sleep from my 18 hour shift I just worked I decided to spruce up one of my maple flat bows!  To give you a hint it's not real snake skin but something I stole from my wife ;) :-X >:D maybe she wont recognize it!  Anyway thanks for taking the time to look when it is dried and I flemish up a nice new string I will get a braced and full draw pic up.  I cant wait to get a spring bird with it and I am making some nice arrows to go right along with it all with some nice knapped heads of mine from my Onondaga chert I quarried!  The only thing that wil bother me is I have a store bought quiver I havent got around to making one. The bow is hard maple with cherry handle 60'' 65lbs@28''  it is rawhide backed again using dogbones from the pet shop!  Any who wont bore you fellas hope u like my shabby work! 

Cheers,
Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:22:47 am by VenomBOWslinger »

VenomBOWslinger

Re: Well I might just finish one after all!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:04:07 pm »
Wow tuff crowd not many responses oh well guess its not worthy... :'(   lol

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:14:30 pm »
Russ the bow looks good but without a braced and full draw pic ya can't expect many responses eh.
Just the way it works, hope yer son feels better :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

half eye

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:56:48 pm »
Venom,
       I like it a lot, a very nice hunting bow in keeping with what I think of as primitive archery. I build board bows, they aint cooked, flipped, supeglued or ring chased staves. Aint never glued a snake skin, limb tips or anything else on, so I guess I aint no bowyer either. For what ever it's worth the old man likes your bow, and I hope ya keep on makin them and makin meat.
Rich

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:20:25 pm »
I like it a lot.

I have a hard maple stave roughed out awaiting floor tillering.  Right now the limbs are about 2.5 inches wide for a little over half the length of the limbs.

I'm only looking for 55-60 at 26" draw...how wide are your limbs at the fades?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 11:30:58 pm »
She looks like a good one. Well done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 11:58:57 pm »
Looks good to me. Look forward to he full draw pic.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 12:00:50 am »
looks great to me i like it cant wait to see some full draw pics.
bryan irwin

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 12:06:10 am »
Hey thanx and if ye read the post I was just happy to get the time to almost finish it was still wet I will brace and post pics up ASAP!
Its hard maple 60" 1"5/8" at fades to 5/8" at tips its flat with little to no set.  Its 5/8" thick tapering down to 11/16'' at the tips.  I used gunstock stain and used a fine grade varnish meant for musical instruments.  I enjoyed the touch ups and have been inspired to do some finish work from my friend half eye...thanx Rich for the tips on finishing Im on the Iroquios bow now!  I have issues finishing bows for some reason otherwise I can post up about 50 bows that have nothing on them except a string!  I love wood working and primitive anything be patient with me guys Im not new to being a bowyer Im new to getting them finished!  Thanx for all the kind words!

Cheers,
Russ

Innocente

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 12:32:07 am »
full draw please!

i'm dying to hear about what article of clothing you harvested the skin from.  i been eyeballing my wife's leopard skin robe lately (some kinda sheer material, it's gonna look GREAT on the back of a red oak longbow i'm makin).

beautiful work, by the way.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 12:48:34 am »
Whatever it was you stole from the wife, it looks cool.  But I'm bettin she notices it!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 01:02:47 am »
cool bow Russ, can't wait to see the full draw and braced pic!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 01:39:53 am »
Very good looking bow Russ, Can't wait to see it bending  ;)

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 01:48:09 am »
HOLY $#!T hi Shannon!  Josh howdy to u too!   I told my my comrade KEN75 that the snakeskin came from my oldladies panties!!!  Makes u wonder how wide the panties are??? ;D ;D :o  lol joking aside they are synthetic boa pants that look like something a hooker might wear.  My wife is a hotty and are not big at all!  She didnt ever use them but once in the bedroom ;)  long story short I wanted a snakeskin and had none so I snatched them from her dresser and hacked them up!  They were pants but now DAISEY DUKES ..shorts.  I folded them up and gently placed them back in her dresser!  She spotted them right away and laughed it was a funny moment we had.  I tend to be a bit animated maybe too much for some of you guys I apologize!!! I do nothing but work and dont get out much.. OK I will get u a full draw and a braced pic ASAP!  Good night boys!

Russ

VenomBOWslinger

LOL guys I hope I didnt start a downward spiral trend in getting guys to steal there wifes clothing to use on your bows!!! :D :D  The one guy said something about eye balling his wifes leopard robe.  Thats funny!  So whos next???

Venom