Author Topic: hot melt gun  (Read 1740 times)

Offline aero86

hot melt gun
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:22:25 pm »
ive got a couple hot melt guns, and i was wondering.  im gonna use small stone points when hunting rabbits.  id like to use epoxy, but if one breaks, i was thinking hot melt would be a better idea for ease of removal of broken points.  thoughts?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hot melt gun
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »
I use pitch glue with all stone points. If they break or get out of allignment a little heat will remove them or make for quick adjustments.   My pitch glue is made from hard pine pitch, bees wax and finely ground charcoal. Very effectine glue for hafting stone points.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 12:31:32 pm »
well, ive already got the hot glue.  but if youve got some youd be willing to get rid of, id rather use that! ive tried to make my own, the stuff i found has too much fine crap in it
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:42:07 pm »
The "fine crap" in the pitch will add body like the charcoal does.  The pitch glue I have is hardened in a metal can that I reheat to use so I don't really have any to send.
  I've never used hot melt glue or epoxy for points. Either can be softened with heat. The epoxy will have to be replaced.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:20:40 pm »
hmmm, guess ill have to give my stuff a try then, thanks pat

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 05:31:21 pm »
Pitch glue is just natural hot-melt glue. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.