Author Topic: ELKIE gets a makeover!...continued!  (Read 14833 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
ELKIE gets a makeover!...continued!
« on: April 05, 2010, 01:44:09 am »
Back in 2005, Kenneth(Little John) invited me out to SW Colorado in the fall of 2006 to hunt elk with him. I built a bow just for this hunt; 60" sinew backed osage with kicked up static tips. She had 3 layers of elk sinew on her and the tip overlays were elk antler. Her name is ELKIE! I wrote "The Story Of ELKIE" and it was published in Primitive Archer Magazine(vol. 15, iss. 5  Oct/Nov 2007). It described the process I went through getting ELKIE ready to hunt; from stave to finished bow. At one point, as described in the article, I had a problem with the sinew turning loose on the bottom limb near the tip. I fixed that problem and a month or so later went to Colorado for the hunt.
   When I left Colorado, ELKIE stayed behind with Kenneth. She performed very well in the dry climate of Colorado. Well, Kenneth had the same thing happen with him but this time it was near the handle that the sinew let loose. When I added the sinew to the bow I did not cross the handle with sinew(mistake #1).
  Not long ago Kenneth and I were talking on the phone and he asked if I would repair ELKIE. Kenneth sent her back to me and after studying everything I decided ELKIE needed a complete make over. I started lifting the sinew, in one solid sheet, from the back of one limb. Only a small bit of sinew and glue remained. The other limb doesn't want to cooperate so far but I am sure will yield with a bit of steam.
  Here is what ELKIE looks like now. I am documenting the whole process so I will have pics to go with this continuing story. The first pic shows the sinew sheet lifting...

I removed the thread wraps, the sheet of sinew from the back then removed the rattan handle wrap. You can also see that the sinew is holding well on the top limb. I'm hoping a steam bath will loosen it up.

Look how much darker the osage is after being exposed to the light and how light the protected areas are...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:51:24 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: ELKIE gets a makeover!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:26:52 am »
Hey man be careful, you'll lavish endless time, effort and patience with her makeover...she'll end up so pretty all the younger men will be lookin' to steal her away!
But seriously, I like refurbishing an old friend, look forward to seeing how it goes.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:33:19 am »
Go get um Pat,if anyone can refinish it you can,Can't wait to see what you come up with. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:23:45 am »
Should come out real nice Pat. Too bad it needs a makeover but Im sure it will be even better this time :) Cool how the osage almost looks stained at the tips.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:20:41 pm »
Looking forward to see this project.  That is one beauty in spite of the lifting sinew, I can't wait to see the finished product.
Traverse City, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:25:49 pm »
Pat, if anyone can fix it you can. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:50:25 pm »
Hey Pat,

Looking forward to seeing this.:)

Randbear:)
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Diligence

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 11:06:53 pm »
Looks like it will be a fun project.  Good to see you at it!

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 11:34:52 pm »
That back must be better Go getter done

Ron

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 01:17:49 am »
This won't be a speedy project by any stretch but, like you guys I'm looking forward to it too. I've only made a few sinew backed bows and learned something from each one. One thing I didn't learn until ELKIE's demise is to incorporate the sinew through the handle to join both limbs together. I didn't do that on this or any other sinew backed bows. There in no sinew on the handle. You will note that most of the set is in the handle area. This bow bends in the handle at my full draw(26"). I think Kenneth draws 29" so it bent a lot at his draw. The set was there when I gave Kenneth the bow after the hunt so she has held her own.
    I have lots of shredded sinew, thanks to Tim Lathum's(woodstick) kids and the trade we made and have talked to James Parker(Robustus) about hide glues and techniques. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for the forum and I'm interested in all input. ELKIE was made to shoot elk! I didn't have an opportunity when I was in Colorado but Kenneth will when ELKIE returns to the Salt Creek drainage one fall in the future. With luck and money  ::) , I'll be there too.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 10:06:00 pm »
Any secret tips from James about hide glue and techniques that you are able to share. ;)   I'll be sinewing a shorty osage in the near future.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 11:51:37 am »
Well, I wasn't wrong about taking my time with this one!  ::) After lots of studying and looking over this bow I did a little heat tweaking and toothed the back again. Just before adding the 1st layer of sinew I wiped her down with denatured alcohol to be sure all oils, hand and other was cleaned off the back.   I drew Elkie into reflex using a few strands of sinew around her handle and through an eye hook screwed into the 2x4 I used as a form with a piece of 2x4 under each tip. I figured I could just sinew over this piece of sinew and cut it off flush when the sinewing was done. It has held good so far.
  Here are a few pics of Elkie and the beginning of her new look. As you can see I brought the sinew through the handle, unlike before. I'm sure this will add a bit more weight(not that she needed it) plus should prevent her taking set in the handle area like she had before.
  So here is where Elkie stands(lays) for now. I think I'll add at least one more course of sinew or even 2 more before dressing her up in her "Sunday Go To Meeting" outfit for her trip to Colorado and hopefully another elk hunt. At least Kenneth will have a chance with her if I don't.  I have documented this rebuild from removing the old sinew and snake skin to now and will continue through the entire process. I'm thinking about an update article to the "Story of Elkie" I wrote for PA a few years back. Maybe we can even get pics of Elkie at what she was intended to do from the begining...kill an elk.
  Heeeeeeeres Elkie!   Please excuse her lack of attire but we have to start with the foundation garmets!  ;)

Offline Parnell

Re: ELKIE gets a makeover!...continued!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 01:11:07 pm »
She looks real good Pat.  So is the sinew string that you've tied her into reflex with under the layer of sinew that you applied?  Also, it looks like the sinew stops aways back from the tips - how far back is that?  Will you just wrap those ends with sinew?  How'd you lay it down - a center strip then working toward the edges?  I have a Osage bow I'm considering sinewing...

Hope she comes out real nice!
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 01:41:06 pm »
Parnel, Yes I tied the sinew around the handle then looped it around the hook before sinewing. The sinew goes over the tie down. It should blend in with the other sinew after it all cures out.
  I don't bring the sinew up past where the tips become rigid. No need for it there and it will add extra physical weight to a non-bending section.   I will wrap those ends with sinew then again with silk thread once the skins are put on. The skins will stop short too.
  I started by laying a good coverage of sinew across the handle area first then went out each limb a bit at a time. Once this cures a little I will concentrate the second layer primarily down the center of the limb then probably use the 3rd layer to even up the backing before skinning.

Offline snag

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 01:43:51 pm »
I wonder if the dry climate in Colorado was apart of the problem too...? Maybe more curing of the sinew was needed? Just throwing that out for consideration.  What is "toothing"? Is that making the surface rough to allow for better adhering of the sinew?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.