Author Topic: Jade Axe Head?  (Read 3712 times)

Offline bushman

Jade Axe Head?
« on: April 02, 2010, 02:13:54 am »
Does anyone know what type of rock the Natives would have used to polish jade into an axe head shape? Don’t think sand stone would work, I think it would be to soft. Has anyone ever tried to make a jade axe before just by pecking and polishin?
Bushman

Offline BIG BAD BRAD

Re: Jade Axe Head?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 02:43:15 am »
TO THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE THEY DID USE SANDSTONE AND WATER TO GRIND AND POLISH JADE.  JADE IS A FAIRLY SOFT STONE... BUT BECAUSE OF ITS FIBROUS MAKEUP IT IS VERY-VERY TOUGH!
 I WORK A LOT OF JADE AND IT ALWAYS IMPRESSES ME WITH ITS BEAUTY AND TOUGHNESS.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:49:50 am »
What'd ya say BIG BRAG -  I couldn't quite hear ya, little too quiet there :D. Sorry, don't have a clue bushman - never worked jade.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:45:43 pm »
You can use finely crushed flint flakes to increase the cut of your polishing stone. use a water slurry.
steve

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 02:05:16 am »

I think I would stick with what Brad said.  I think the crushed flint would scratch, and scar it.  I would go with sand stone and water.  Maybe a piece of leather on a small board, and wet it, and put the sand stone grit on it to final polish it, maybe some finer sand grains.  Where are you getting your Jade?

Wayne

Offline bushman

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 02:20:04 am »
Thanks for all of the info, when I find a big piece of jade I will have to give it a try.
Stickbender, I don’t have any jade at the moment that is big enough to make anything with, I found a few little pieces in gravel banks around here. I was just wondering how the Natives made axes out of them.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 03:21:42 am »

Bushman, if you are wanting to stay primitive, I would go with what Brad said.  But if you just want to polish it, There are is a "plethora"  ( that is my big two dollar word for the day ) of polishing matrial out there.  From course, down to ultra fine.  From solid bars, and tubes, to powders. 

Wayne

Offline bushman

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 07:45:30 pm »
Wayne, I was tryin to stay primitive but I may get some poliching matrial. Thanks
Bushman

Offline BIG BAD BRAD

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 12:21:21 am »
DOUGLAS COUNTY OREGON HAS SOME GREAT CARVABLE JADE. IT IS A WHITE/VERY LIGHT GREEN & CAMES IN VERY BIG PIECES. THE PROBLEM IS GETTING IT OUT & CUT DOWN TO USABLE CHUNKS. IT RUNS ABOUT $3 A LB. PLUS SHIPPING , SO IT GETS EXPENSIVE.