Author Topic: Staves and Boards  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Tractor

• Mike Hettinga
Staves and Boards
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:34:59 pm »
So in a way I am jumping the gun here but I have an opportunity and feel the need to grab it. 

As of yet, I have not made a bow.  I just got my shop set up after a year of working on it and am now ready to start enjoying it by making bows, boats and just enough furniture to keep my wife from ruing her decision to let me build a shop.  The thing is this.  I live in Eastern Colorado, a desert if ever there was one and the only trees are those planted by people who seem to not appreciate my idea of cutting them down for personal lumber.  This scarcity of wood plus the words I have read on this forum have shown me that Board bows are my best bet for starting out and I am excited about that.

But here's the rub.  During the week of the 12th of April I will be driving from Parker CO to Louisville KY and back.  I have not driven this area before, only flown over it.  I believe that I am going to pass through some wonderful hardwood timber areas and what I am looking for is a place or place that I could get some wood for bow making.  Either boards I can use now or staves I can save for later.  I will essentially be following Interstate 70 and Interstate 64 but there is some flexibility.  So if you have a suggestion for a lumber yard I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Mike
Parker, Colorado

Offline Tractor

• Mike Hettinga
Re: Staves and Boards
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:08:12 pm »
Thanks Scott I did find them on google and will definitely stop in there.

Mike
Parker, Colorado

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 02:59:44 pm »
Paxton Lumber in Denver is one of the best lumberyard companies in the country.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:12:59 pm »
Look for straight grained stock of maple, oak, hickory, ash, etc. Avoid poplar. More on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Tractor

• Mike Hettinga
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:31:25 pm »
Ken I have seen Paxton when googling, just have not made the trip up there yet but with your rec it sounds like a must go.

And oh yes George, I have been to your site a few times.  Very helpful and I plan on camping on it when I get started.

Thank you to both of you.
Mike
Parker, Colorado

Offline yazoo

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:52:22 pm »
too bad your not comming east during the tn classic you could swing by and get everything you need,,not to far off line
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Tractor

• Mike Hettinga
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 02:21:46 am »
Yazoo I thought the same thing when I was looking at your post about your Hickory blanks and someone asked if they were for the TN classic.  First thing I did was find out when the dates were.  Unfortunately I will be back in Colorado by that time.But maybe  next year I can try and work something out.

Mike
Parker, Colorado

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 08:22:30 am »
If you figure you trip to take I65 to Louisville you will be with in 30 miles of my place ,stop by
and I will let you cut some stuff or we can trade for some wood. Don't know what you are looking
for but I am sure we can come up with something.Are you coming back through the next weekend.
the 17th or so.I am there some most every day late afternoon and from Friday till Sunday morning most every weekend. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tractor

• Mike Hettinga
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 04:14:51 pm »
Pappy,  That is a very nice offer.  My first thought was that I had nothing to trade but then I remembered my freezer holds two elk hides.  One is pretty cut up, the guy who skinned the cow was a bit rough with the knife but I think it would be fine for rawhide backings.  The other one is smaller but the guy that skinned her was a lot more careful with where he was slinging his blade.  Both are from last season, have been frozen nearly the whole time and have had nothing done to them but salting.

oh I also remembered I have a turkey wing (right side) from last spring as well.

I am trying to talk to the guy who is going with me to Louisville to see if he can be persuaded to swing through northern TN.  If you are interested in the elk hides either pm me or email me at

hettinga(insert the at symbol here)idcomm.comm

otherwise I will pm you if we are able to swing down that way.

Thank you
Mike
Parker, Colorado

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 07:11:24 pm »
Mike,you gotta stop at Pappy's place if your in the area.
you defintaly wont regret going out of your way for it.
once your there,you wont wann leave.
i speak from experience ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Tractor

• Mike Hettinga
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 01:09:47 pm »
Pappy,

I sent you an email.

Mike
Parker, Colorado