Author Topic: Audad kill.....  (Read 8497 times)

Offline billy

Audad kill.....
« on: March 25, 2010, 09:52:58 pm »
Here's an Audad (don't know exactly what that is, but I'm assuming an exotic sheep) that my friend David killed in Texas this year.  He used a *Gasp!*  *Cough!*  *Hack!!*  compound bow, but he shot a cedar arrow tipped with one of my obsidian points.  The arrow went thru both lungs and hit the shoulder blade on the other side, breaking the tip off the point. The audud ran 80 yards and collapsed.  Blood trail was easy to follow.  Although the launcher wasn't primitive, the point was...  Next time I gotta get him to use a wooden longbow.  Anyway, enjoy.   

[attachment deleted by admin]
Marietta, Georgia

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Audad kill.....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:57:58 pm »
Them stinkin Goats are everywhere here in the Canyons.....and Your Friend is a Brave Soul...to shoot a Cedar Arrow out of a Compound Bow...I seen firsthand what a Wood Arrow does when a Compound shoves the Nock to meet the Point...and the Forearm is in the middle.........not pretty
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:42:24 pm »
Them stinkin Goats are everywhere here in the Canyons.....and Your Friend is a Brave Soul...to shoot a Cedar Arrow out of a Compound Bow...I seen firsthand what a Wood Arrow does when a Compound shoves the Nock to meet the Point...and the Forearm is in the middle.........not pretty
Nice Audad...........
Mike is right, wood arrows should not be shot from compounds.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:10:27 am »
 Nice goat. I want one.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 02:48:58 am »
Nice goat. I want one.

Eddie...you come here...and I will talk to a Guy I know in Claude Texas...he knows where the Aoudad hang out on Public Land...and there aint no Season on them either........ :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 01:59:47 pm »
looks like the head has a classic impact fracture.  as long as the wood arrows are oriented correctly and spined to match the weight of the compound, they should be fine.  if wood arrows could handle being shoot from an 150-200# elb, then they will handle compounds.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 06:55:00 pm »
thats pretty neat i used to carry a flint tipped arrow in my quiver when i used a compound
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 07:02:40 pm »
I'll have to.take your word on that..... Because I ain't a tryin em....my buddy Larry Porter shot a Sitka  Spruce Arrow that was supposed to be spined at 65 pounds through my Bowtech...that is 60 pounds.....and the Arrow broke about 6 inches past the Fletches....and buried the nock end right about at His wrist...poor guy.... He is also the one that got shot by a 45 acp ricochet at the Range....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:07:26 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 10:13:51 pm »
Well that's half primitive anyway ;), cool looking goat. Hey Mike I may have to come up there and try that sometime. Funny you should mention Claude. I built that goofy looking water tower there years ago. We call it the leaning tower of Claude but don't tell anybody ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Lombard

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 10:49:55 pm »
I wonder if those horns could be used in a horn bow?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 10:51:38 pm »
No S%^t.......Is it this one.....I wondered what Warped Mind built this Monstrosity......... >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 08:47:37 am »
Nope, mine's not leaning quite that bad :D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 09:43:33 am »
I shot a deer with a wood arrow out of an old round-wheel compound years ago.  I wouldn't try it out of a current high performance bow like that one.  (Of course, since I don't shoot one anymore I guess it's moot.)  My issue is that wood isn't consistent enough and it gets damaged more easily than more modern arrow types.  With carbon its usually straight or broke.  It's really cool that he used it successfully.  And that looks like a really nice auodad.

ElD, we may have to talk about auodad hunting some day, though my little experience would suggest that their eyes are scary good.  Do they eat good?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 10:39:15 am »
Nope, mine's not leaning quite that bad :D.

This one is built that way too... the legs are all anchored down.... I will have to look for your handiwork next time I go through Claude....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline uwe

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 10:41:25 am »
The horns any good for a hornbow?
Regards Uwe