Author Topic: Half Dozen Cane Arrows.  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Half Dozen Cane Arrows.
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:39:49 am »
I have been working on these for the last month...  I really just don't like the arrow making process, so it took me awhile.  They are tonkin cane from Lowe's, I painted the nock/feather area white so maybe I won't lose them at the next 3D shoot.  I sanded and dyed the shafts with Chocolate Brown Rit Dye and I think they turned out pretty.  These 6 arrows are my best yet.  Come to think of it making arrows isn't that bad... I would rather be carving a bow though... What do you think?  Thanks for looking!   :)

A full quiver is a happy quiver.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NTD

Re: Half Dozen Cane Arrows.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 01:57:04 am »
Good work Josh,they really look good in that quiver.
Nate Danforth

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 02:20:40 am »
Thanks Nate.  I am still sending you your quiver blank, I am just having some money issues right now.  Maybe I can ship it this weekend, if not then definitely in a week when I get paid.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:54:57 am »
They look great Josh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 08:01:33 am »
Sweet,them look great,how do the fly ? :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:35:03 am »
Thanks Dana and Pappy, they fly pretty good.  They are a little heavier than the set of POC arrows I just broke... Still getting used to the new weight.  :)

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 10:49:46 am »
They look slick.  How did you do the business end on them?  Just slide in a dowel and taper the whole thing?
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:54:45 am »
looks pretty good josh!  btw, you should have some more shafts pretty soon!  i myself like the arrow making process.  did you use a jig for the fletching?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 10:55:57 am »
Jonathan, I drilled the center out to a 5/16th dowel size for 3 or 4 inches and used red oak dowels.  then tapered it to slide into the 11/32 field point.  It seems to be holding up pretty good, It is the first time I have ever done them this way.  :)

Thanks Ryan!  I fletched them by hand that is why they are off a little,  :)  I bought the white cock feathers but I ground the turkey feathers myself.  They were last year's birds..  :)

Offline Diligence

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 11:00:39 am »
Josh - I think you have it all wrong....you best bundle those up and send them to me for proper disposal   ;D

Great job
J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline riarcher

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 11:52:48 am »
WOW!  :o  Very nicely done.
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 01:37:11 pm »
Real nice Josh. I'm with you working on bows are more fun.

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 01:53:11 pm »
i guess im crazy, but i like making arrows more.  people are just better craftsman on making bows than i am.  next time i get a bow, im gonna have to trade someone SOMETHING to make me one. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Dad

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 12:15:43 am »
Those look nice.  Great Job!

Offline Sweet Potato

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 12:28:41 am »
Great arrows, I agree about making arrows, would rather do a bow.
But I love that quiver!

Sam
Every day got dog.