Author Topic: Bamboo backed lemonwood vs hickory vs maple  (Read 5704 times)

Offline Tommy D

Bamboo backed lemonwood vs hickory vs maple
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:23:40 pm »
I am planning on buying some wood to back with bamboo and was wondering what the opinion was on bamboo backed lemonwood vs bamboo backed hickory vs bamboo backed maple - taking into consideration I will be ordering the wood so won't be able to see the pieces in advance.

Offline Et_tu_brute

Re: Bamboo backed lemonwood vs hickory vs maple
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:10:32 am »
I'd go for lemonwood, nice and strong in compression, more so than Hickory or Maple in my experience. Also if you can't look at the pieces in advance you can get away with a lot of grain runoff etc. in Lemonwood, moreso than in Hickory or Maple.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 12:02:21 pm »
If I were going to boo back a bow I would use a more compression strong belly wood like osage, ipe or other tropical woods. I've never used lemonwood(degame). It may be strong in compression but like locust it is easily fretted(for me at least).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:11:45 pm »
Haven't worked with lemonwood, from what I understand the cuban embargo thing is the reason.  Shame too, being that I'm only about 200km. from Cuba.  Not sure if you've built a bow before but if not, than I can vouch for the forgiveness of hickory.  I made several different bows of different designs that were unbacked and have held up very nicely.  It doesn't do very well with high humidity and here in S. Florida that is a factor.  But, with the bows sealed I haven't yet noticed any trouble with that factor.  In the summer (wet season) I just keep them indoors.  Hope this sheds some light...

Good luck!
1’—>1’

Offline spinney

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 01:21:23 pm »
Hi Tommy,
 Are you in the UK? It sounds like you are.
I have made quite a few lemonwood bows backed with bamboo with excellent results.
Can't vouch for maple never used it.
Hickory will soak up moisture in the damp weather in the UK.

Go with the lemonwood this makes outstanding bows with a narrow profile.
I've purchased lemonwoon from North Heighham Saw Mills and Richard Head Longbows without a chance to examine the wood and both shipments were exellent quality.

Andrew

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:31:13 pm »
Am staying with a friend in London at the moment but I live in Kenya. Did you find the bows are quite fast? Do you make elbs or flat bows?

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:43:21 am »
 Here in the desert ;) Hickory and bamboo makes a great bow,  If  you are taking bows to Kenya and if its dry and hot, I'd make one up with hickory, and save it for there.
If you are staying in England my friend Andrew's advice is what I'd follow. But if you get your hands on some Ipe I'd try that too ;D.

Offline spinney

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 01:49:30 pm »
Tommy,

The bamboo backed lemonwood bows I like to make are designed specifically to out shoot English longbows.
I make them as follows.
68" to 70" long 2" to 4" shorter than an ELB. Reduces  physical weight.
Reflexed 2" to 3" during glue up. This to help reduces physical weight and improves cast. (see Perry Reflex).
Flat belly this help reduces set.
Self Knocks. This reduces physical weight where it is most critical at the limb tips.

1.25" wide at the handle to halfway up each limb.
Tappering to as narrow as you dare at the knocks.

Eliptical tillar to 50-60lbs

I don't let the ELB guys see the bow unstrung, it's allways funny to see the looks on their faces when one of these bows easily outshoots ELB's.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:39:07 pm by spinney »

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 06:36:06 pm »
Andrew,

Where do you live - would love to see one of your bows!