Author Topic: yucca plant fibers  (Read 3147 times)

Offline luke the drifter

yucca plant fibers
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:54:58 pm »
i am wanting to build a 40lbs. bow.  would it be feasible to build a string using yucca plant fibers to match this weight.  just curious?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: yucca plant fibers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:36:05 pm »
Yes, but I haven't figured out the secret to working with yucca fiber yet. It is tricky to make strings with.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:38:00 pm »
It also works for Bow Backing too....ask Jackcrafty...I believe He has used it
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:26:26 pm »
justin,

there is a secret with yucca plant fibers?  i got some from around home just to fart around with.  i did the reverse twist method.  i did alright with it.  for some weird reason, it was amazing to make something from this stuff and it actually hold up.  would the string end up being too thick to accomodate a 40 weight bow? 

w.h.d.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 09:45:47 am »
Luke, I did the reverse twist also. I would like to figure out an easier way to handle it while wrapping. Sinew kind of sticks together while working, yucca fiber doesn't.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 01:43:29 pm »
Haven't tried but as far as thickness - I saw a bow with a deer rawhide string that was incredibly thick at the arrow nock.  Probably more than a quarter of an inch.  The were thicker cane with wider grooves.  Worked great though.  Got to shoot it - it was a completely primitive locust bow even made with stone tools! 
1’—>1’

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 02:08:39 pm »
I've tried yucca and yucca fibers will work fine for a 40# bow.  The string doesn't need to be thick: just over 1/8" should be fine.  Just remember that the string is only as strong as its weakest spot...so consistency is critical.

If you wind the fibers tightly while twisting, you don't need any "natural glue" to hold it together.  It will fail sooner, though, than a sinew bowstring.

Yucca fibers that are harvested green and then dried are stronger than fibers harvested from a dead plant.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:06:40 pm »
I knew that Patrick would chime in with some good information.... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome