Author Topic: purpose of tip overlays?  (Read 11473 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: purpose of tip overlays?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 08:57:07 am »
I use them mainly for three reasons-they let me make much narrower tips, they protect the bow tips, and I like the way they look.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 10:59:02 am »
I've used them on yew so the string doesn't cut the nock area. Mainly I use them to fix drying cracks. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Greatgoogamooga

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 12:24:26 pm »
I hadn't thought about overlays on bamboo.  Am I correct that you need to strip off the bark and flatten the tips first?  Epoxy, or TB?

Goog

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 12:30:56 pm »
I hadn't thought about overlays on bamboo.  Am I correct that you need to strip off the bark and flatten the tips first?  Epoxy, or TB?

Goog

I have used both without a failure yet... :)  ...yet  ::)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:03:10 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 12:38:42 pm »
I use them mainly for three reasons-they let me make much narrower tips, they protect the bow tips, and I like the way they look.

Same here...

For those who need some guidance I have a build-along in the how-to section; scroll down for tip overlays!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 01:54:13 pm »
Overlays are mandatory in boo backed bows. Without overlays the boo will split on the nock groove edges.
No it won't!
Much greater chance though.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 01:59:28 pm »
I moved Franks tip overlay thread to the Archive Library section so it will be easier to find and keep track of. 
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1729.0.html
Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Far East Archer

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 03:52:10 pm »
Strings split the nock because groove angle is wrong or string is too thin.
You need gradual curve and enough material at top of curve closest to back.

If done this way, any wood can be used without overlay.
(though sometimes its really just problem with string, and this case nock overlay or thicker string serving is needed)

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 04:33:25 pm »
Thank Justin, good idea!
Frank from Germany...

DCM4

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 05:02:44 pm »
I agree with the idea they let you extend the groove across the back of the bow without violating the back ring.  I not sure I agree with the idea the bow would fail otherwise, I've seen too many that didn't.  I think it's important the bow not bend excessively too far on the outer limb though, and I don't care for grooves cut across the back without an overlay.  They also let you achieve a more rounded, teardrop shape, again without violating the back ring.  I've not had trouble with fast flight strings sawing through anything, on wood selfbows as soft as yew and elm, and on boo backed bows.  I think they look good, cost nothing and if anything add a bit of insurance.  More than anything string grooves should allow the string to lay straight to the back of the bow at brace height, and have a rounded teardrop shape to spread the compression load over as much material as practical, overlay or not.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 07:55:02 pm »
well like i said
i have one that has no overlats and never had a problem with the boo splitting

Overlays are mandatory in boo backed bows. Without overlays the boo will split on the nock groove edges.

I'm listening to you guys. I just did one boo backed bow without overlays and the boo split on the edge of the nock during tillering. I superglued it and filed a flat and used an overlay. Had no problems after that.  Maybe I need to try it again without overlays. It sure would save some time.

so it might just be how you treated the boo when you cut your nocks in
and like i said,if i was any good at them i might use them more often.
but i still think thay are not neccasary,and are for asthetic reasons
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Josh

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 08:23:30 pm »
I think they are more useful than just for aesthetics as you can cut a groove across the back of the bow and therefore make your tips more narrow than you can with just side nocks. Most of the tip overlays I see (including mine) have so much wood past the actual string groove I think it cancels out any added performance achieved by having narrower tips anyways.  But they do enhance the beauty of a wooden bow to me anyways.   :)   
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 10:21:45 am »
Back in my early days of bow making (before I used overlays) I had a couple of bow strings slip out of the sting groove on one side while stringing. With the string in only one groove, the pressure was too much for it to hold and the bow split at the groove down the limb about 8".

Had I been more cautious this wouldn't have happened but I still ruined two bows. I have added overlays since.

I like the looks(I collect all kinds of burl wood to make them out of), the safety factor for the limb tips and the versatility of being able to make a stringing grove or starting with only the cut across the back on a strung bow to perfectly locate the correct angle for the side nocks.

Here is a picture of an unfinished nock overlay with a stringing groove visible and the way I mark the perfect string angle for my side nocks.

Offline Josh

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 10:52:43 am »
I really like the way you carve your string grooves Eric.  I am going to have to try that on my next bow.  My string is never perfectly straight at full brace and that way looks like a great way to remedy that.  Thanks for posting that.  ;)