Author Topic: Take Down experiment (freaky)  (Read 2207 times)

Offline TBod

Take Down experiment (freaky)
« on: March 22, 2010, 11:47:33 am »
Hi!

Fooling around with some Oak boards and stuff. The board for the limbs was only 0.32 times 1,75" so it pulls about 20# at 26". Might do some heat gun work later or fix another set limbs with higher #. The handle is not finished either.

Comments are welcome!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Diligence

Re: Take Down experiment (freaky)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »
Very interesting.....I like it.
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline TBod

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:13:03 pm »
Thanks D!

Offline jturner

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:33:52 pm »
I like that. I just found some threaded inserts that im gonna try. I save the limbs from my broken bows and want to make some all wood takedowns. the only problem I can see with that design is that I would think there would be some flexing going on with a higher weight bow, mabey four bolts? Definatly cool for lower weight/kids bows. Even at 20 lbs there is alot of force/leverage at the riser. Good idea glad it worked out for ya.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 02:57:27 pm »
Not primitive, but a neat concept!  The only problem I have is that the grip seems over long.  Perhaps moving the bolts to the middle of the fades and trimming an inch or two off each end?  I've seem a number of takedowns that only have 8" long handles...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline TBod

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:16:32 pm »
jt:
I think this design will manage up to 50# . I am gonna try some other heavier limbs later. It's ok with a little flexing but just not where the bolts are. More bolts makes more weak spots also, maybe not a good idea.

Ken:
I like the grip long so I can have shorter limbs and still have a pretty long bow. Looks kind of ugly though..

Thanks!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:26:03 pm »
Nice.  Similar idea as this bow that I built about 7 years ago to make use of a broken bow

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Aries

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 06:47:25 pm »
Mark bow that is epic lol, a i suppose in these all wood take downs the ending of the limb in the middle of the handle isnt a compromising issue??
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline TBod

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 04:45:46 am »
Marc:
Thanks! Very cool bow of yours, good to see that the take down concept is working to.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 06:03:56 am »
That looks like fun, I like a bit of engineering. But if you start messing with stabilisers, plunger buttons, sights and bolt on coffee machines the boys will be round to straighten you out >:(.
Del  ;)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline TBod

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 10:51:09 am »
Del:
I haven't sold my soul to the  >:D yet. But I can feel him drawing closer. It all starts with two bolts.. (coffee machines?)

Thanks!

Offline Diligence

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 11:22:37 am »
@del.....are you sure you haven't been to my club? (lots of bolt on coffee machines there!)  They all have this look of amazement that my bow and stick arrows don't suddenly and spontaneously implode when I draw and release....

TBod...I like how you have notched the limbs to prevent them swinging out to the side.
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.